Sunken Chest After Male Breast Reduction

Chest sunk in behind nipple after Gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago. Will this improve any with time? Chest has very minimal fat left and sinks in when I flex pec or raise arm.

Sunken chest

I agree with prior post.  Too early to draw conclusions. A photo would help.  However, don't sweat it because even if a depression develops it can be filled in.  Follow up with your doc and express your concerns.

Hi weagle,

Thanks for the post. Without a photo it is difficult to give you directed advice. That being said, at 3 weeks you are still very early in the healing phase. Final results can take up to 6 months. I recommend yo keep in close contact with your surgeon.

SIncerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Be Patient and Give Your Chest a Chance to Heal Before Drawing Conclusions

In general, it is not recommended to draw conclusions about the success of a procedure at 3 weeks post-op, since the healing process can dramatically change the appearance of the body over time. Usually, between 3 and 6 months is needed for the body to pass through all of the stages of healing. Early on following surgery, there is a great deal of inflammation, which is the body’s response to the injury we call “surgery”. Inflammation involves significant swelling which can really distort the results of surgery, and lead one to the wrong conclusion regarding the success of the procedure.

If there is indeed a problem with over-resection of the chest soft tissues, correction with fat transfer may be an option, but this would normally only be done once the tissues have had a chance to softened up and become more supple, which usually occurs at the 6 month mark following surgery.

I hope this answers your question adequately.  Good luck to you!

It is way too early to assess the final result of this surgery.  Give it 6 months and address any concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Contour Irregularities Following Male Breast Reduction

It’s not unusual to have minor contour irregularities following male breast reduction surgery. These changes are related to post-operative swelling and scarring and tend to improve with time. They often present as lumps, bumps and contour irregularities. Minor deformities of this type, often respond to compression and massage.

In some cases these deformities may be severe and require secondary surgical intervention. The majority of these cases require fat grafting and liposuction of the surrounding areas to improve contour.

It’s very difficult to know what treatment will be necessary to correct your particular problem. In most patients who are three weeks post-op, wound healing is a very dynamic phenomena and significant improvement can be anticipated.

It usually takes six to twelve months before a decision can be made regarding revisional surgery. It takes at least this long for swelling and scarring to completely resolve. It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon who can reassure you regarding your clinical course. 

Sunken look after gynecomastia surgery

If the skin look caved in and stuck to your muscle, too much tissue may have been removed. Even if this is the case, there's still no need to worry yet. Proper massage should be able to loosen the skin off the muscle. Continue to see your surgeon and follow instructions.

Depressions after gynecomastia can be corrected

Three weeks is too early . Wait over 6 weeks for a more realistic result. If you have a depression, correct it with a filler or fat. It is simple and you will like the results

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Three weeks after male breast reduction (or any operation) is too early to judge results.

At 3 weeks, you have significant swelling after your operation.  The depression can easily be explained by this swelling.  It won't necessarily go away, but probably will as the swelling subsides.

Sunken breast

I is a bit early to worry.  I would continue compression and massage the area.  If it does not improve then fat grafting may help.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks is too early to judge the result of gynecomastia procedure

While it sounds like your surgeon may have removed a little too much tissue behind the areola, it is still early in your recovery and difficult to predict what your final outcome will be.  At this  point, mention your concern to your surgeon to get his advice.  If this doesn't improve over the next 6 months, you may need a second procedure to correct what you are seeing.  The treatment of gynecomastia involves removing fat with liposuction and gland tissue via direct excision.  If the two are not balanced, this kind of discrepancy can result.  However, let's hope that you are just seeing a difference due to swelling as you are only 3 weeks out from your gynecomastia correction.  Good luck and be patient for now.

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon