Sunken Chest After Male Breast Reduction

Chest sunk in behind nipple after Gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago. Will this improve any with time? Chest has very minimal fat left and sinks in when I flex pec or raise arm.

Contour Irregularities Following Male Breast Reduction

+1

It’s not unusual to have minor contour irregularities following male breast reduction surgery. These changes are related to post-operative swelling and scarring and tend to improve with time. They often present as lumps, bumps and contour irregularities. Minor deformities of this type, often respond to compression and massage.

In some cases these deformities may be severe and require secondary surgical intervention. The majority of these cases require fat grafting and liposuction of the surrounding areas to improve contour.

It’s very difficult to know what treatment will be necessary to correct your particular problem. In most patients who are three weeks post-op, wound healing is a very dynamic phenomena and significant improvement can be anticipated.

It usually takes six to twelve months before a decision can be made regarding revisional surgery. It takes at least this long for swelling and scarring to completely resolve. It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon who can reassure you regarding your clinical course. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sunken look after gynecomastia surgery

+1

If the skin look caved in and stuck to your muscle, too much tissue may have been removed. Even if this is the case, there's still no need to worry yet. Proper massage should be able to loosen the skin off the muscle. Continue to see your surgeon and follow instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Depressions after gynecomastia can be corrected

+1

Three weeks is too early . Wait over 6 weeks for a more realistic result. If you have a depression, correct it with a filler or fat. It is simple and you will like the results

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Three weeks after male breast reduction (or any operation) is too early to judge results.

+1

At 3 weeks, you have significant swelling after your operation.  The depression can easily be explained by this swelling.  It won't necessarily go away, but probably will as the swelling subsides.

Sunken breast

+1

I is a bit early to worry.  I would continue compression and massage the area.  If it does not improve then fat grafting may help.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks is too early to judge the result of gynecomastia procedure

+1

While it sounds like your surgeon may have removed a little too much tissue behind the areola, it is still early in your recovery and difficult to predict what your final outcome will be.  At this  point, mention your concern to your surgeon to get his advice.  If this doesn't improve over the next 6 months, you may need a second procedure to correct what you are seeing.  The treatment of gynecomastia involves removing fat with liposuction and gland tissue via direct excision.  If the two are not balanced, this kind of discrepancy can result.  However, let's hope that you are just seeing a difference due to swelling as you are only 3 weeks out from your gynecomastia correction.  Good luck and be patient for now.

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia correction

+1
During the gynecomastia surgery your surgeon removed some of the breast tissue that sits behind the areola. Now that you are missing some tissue it is not unexpected that you have the depression you are describing. It is unlikely to improve on it's own. In a situation such as yours I would consider fat grafting to prop up the skin and separate it from the underlying muscle. If the wounds are relatively new you can also try vigorous massage to break up the scarring but suspect by now it will not be very effective

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Contour irregularity after male breast reduction

+1

Patients can sometimes have an irregular contour on their chest after male breast reduction for gynecomastia.  This can result from aggressive liposuction or tissue removal in the area beneath the nipple/areola complex.  If this condition does not improve after 6-9 months, you may need a fat transfer to that area which involves harvesting fat from another area, such as your abdomen, and injecting it into the depressed/sunken area beneath your nipple/areola.

Since your surgery was only 3 weeks ago, I would be patient at this time and allow for the swelling to resolve and for the scar tissue to soften. Follow up closely with your plastic surgeon for now.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Chest deformity after liposuction

+1

After liposuction for the correction of gynecomastia, it is possible to see some areas of excessive swelling and adjacent areas they may look depressed. Is extremely important to use a compressive garment that will allow the skin to smoothly attach to the muscle underneath. This will help minimize the swelling and help give you a smooth result. However, if the depression you are seeing is caused by an excess of liposuction to this area, this may heal as a permanent depression. In our practice, we have seen many patients who have received liposuction for gynecomastia I other providers with permanent authorities. We have help these patients through the use of fat grafting techniques.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Sunken chest after male breast reduction

+1

Without a photo there is no possible way for any of us expert posters to address your concerns and issues. It maybe swelling or poor surgery, but I really do not know.

From MIAMI