Can a Crater Deformity Be Fixed After Gynecomastia?

Is there anyway to fix a crater deformity from a bad gynecomastia surgery? My nipple and area around it sinks in when I raise or flex my arm. I do not have anymore fat on my chest that can be removed to lessen the contour difference. Any advice or guidance would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fixing a crater deformity

+2

You will need a combination of fat grafting and possible some additional liposuction in order to help improve the crater. Make sure you see someone with some experience. Good luck. 

Fat grafting can fix the problem

+2

Your problem sounds a little tough, because the nipple seems stuck to the underlying pectoralis muscle, which means it gets worse when you stretch that muscle, like lifting your arm. What needs to be done depends on whether you had too much tissue removed or not.

If there no contour deformity (divot) when you are lying on your back, then the problem not overresection - the problem is that the areola stuck to the underlying pectoralis fascia. In this case, the scar between the areola and the muscle needs to be released and you need to move a lot afterwards and massage the area in order to maintain the release.

If there is a divot there, then you will need fat grafting, where fat is taken from another part of your body in a process like liposuction and placed in tiny droplets in to the divoted area. This will separate the nipple for the muscle for you.

Both surgeries are relatively small.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Gynecomastia Complication: Crater depressed deformity

+1

An exam is essential but from your description it would appear that you have internal scar adhesions between your skin and underlying pectoralis muscle fascia. Typically the adhesions are divided and fat transfer, lipoinjection often corrects this problem. See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Male breast reduction: how to fix crater deformity

+1

A crater deformity after excision of fat and breast tissue for male breasts or puffy nipples is probably more common than is reported.  The best treatment is fat grafting under the areola and nipple area to reestablish a smooth glide plane between the skin and the chest muscle.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafts fix contour deformities

+1

While this is a difficult situation, fat grafts may be your answer. The fat can be taken from anywhere (commonly your abdomen) and transplanted under the "crater" deformity.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Gynecomastia Divots

+1

Gynecomastia surgery can  be complicated by divots under the nipples.  The two main causes are

1. an under resection of the surrounding gland/tissue or 2. over resection of behind the nipple.  Either one causes divots in almost any position.  Divots that become apparent in certain positions is likely due to adherence of the of the nipple to the under lying pecoralis fascia.  

Fat grafting is the solution to the divot in this scenario as it will free the nipple from the underlying pectoralis and help fill in the divot.

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Depression after breast gland removal

+1

I think the best option is a series of fat injections into the area, being done about 6  months apart to fill in the space between the skin and your pectoralis. Not all of the fat survives the first time, usually due to the scar tissue and that is why it usually needs to be repeated, but you will already look better after the first one heals.

Julio Garcia, MD

Fixing crater deformity after gynecomatia

+1

This can be caused by too much tissue being removed from under the areola or not enough from the periphery of the chest or both.  If there has been too much tissue removed, fat grafting is the solution.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Raising Your Arms Is Not The Real Test

+1

When the arms are raised the entire chest structures change.  You must decide on the outcome of your gynecomastia with your hands by your side looking into a mirror. You also have scar tissue which alters how things appear.  If the crater appears with your arms down this is a issues and fat grafting or a fat fap can correct.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Gynecomastia

+1

A fat transfer to athe area should work. Consulta with your surgeon to determine the number of injections you will need to fill the void.  Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon