I Started Massaging Yesterday and my Breast Seem More Sore Today. Is That Normal?

I am 14 days post op today. i had my sutures removed yesterday and my PS showed me how to massage them. Of course im freaking out because i think im not doing it correctly because they seem sore today. Is that normal to feel sore after you start massaging? I know that they will be sore and swollen for a while, but I always seem to the think the worse is gonna happen...

Early post-op breast augmentation

+2

It is quite common to feel sore after a breast augmentation and certainly after initially massaging them.

Hello

+2

In our practice we do not tell our patients to message after breast augmentation. If your only 14 days out you should be very sore still it does take time 6-9 months to be exact.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Soreness after breast massage is common

+2

Only two weeks after breast augmentation the tissue is healing, and massaging is like exercising after a muscle strain. Soreness will follow. Try an antiinflammatory to settle things. We don't use massage, and you might ask if you need to continue as well.

Massage After Breast Augmentation

+2

It is not abnormal for women to feel sore once they start massaging their breasts.  The tissues just need to get used to the motion while they are still recovering from the initial surgery.  At the two week mark, you should not be able to cause any damage internally, so do not be afraid to massage pretty firmly.  Most patients adjust to it pretty quickly and the discomofrt is gone after a few days.  The swelling can take anywhere form 1-3 months to fully go away and settle, so just be patient.  It sounds like you are right on track with everything.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Soreness After Massage

+2

Thank you for the question. This is very typical in the early post operative period. You are in the very early stages of healing and there is a significant amount of inflammation and scarring that is occuring in the surgical site. The massaging will irritate the area and cause the soreness you are experiencing.

This sensation should resolve in time. Be patient and most important, continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

More Sore after massage. Is That Normal?

+2

This is common. Not only are you massaging the surgical area, you are using the pectoral muscles vigorously for the first time in two weeks. Any additional questions about technique would be best addressed to your surgeon's office, as we often use differing regimens for  massage.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Soreness after massage is common

+1
It is common for some soreness to occur after massaging your breasts following surgery.

Since the rate of capsular contracture at my practice is low after breast augmentation, I do not routinely advise massage.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

When to start Breast massage and why.

+1
Dear Toots
Thank you for your post. There are many reasons why one would want to do breast massage after surgery. These include,
1. to try to massage an implant into place that is assymetric with the other side,
2. to try to massage implants down that are too high,
3. to try to massage a constricted area of the breast to loosen up, as in tubular breasts, and finally
4. to try to prevent capsular contraction around the breasts.
As you probably have guessed, the type of massage for these different issues will be different as we are trying to accomplish different things.

1. When the implants are assymetric, or appear to be at different levels or height, then the massage is different from side to side. This occurs sometimes if the implants are placed under the muscle and one muscle is released slightly different from the other side, or the muscle is naturally larger or different shape from the other side. Sometimes massage is performed to one breast only, and sometimes to both breasts but in different directions. You should ask your surgeon for specific instructions as every situation is different, but in general, think of the breast as a 'circle', and massage with significant breast on the opposite side of the circle that you want the implants to go. You have to feel an actual stretch in the tissues in the area that the implant need to go for this to be of benefit, otherwise you are not really accomplishing anything. If the massage is in the direction of the incision, I usually protect the incision with steri-strips in order to keep the scar from widening in the early first 3 months during the massage. The massage needs to be finished in the first three months and started early, otherwise it will have little to no benefit. Look at the breasts and analyze the symmetry and where the deficient areas are to make a nice smooth beautiful contour, and stop once that goal is achieved.

2. When the implants are high, and have not dropped, but are symmetric, some physicians use a tension band on top of the breasts, some ask the patient to go without a bra and allow gravity to slowly move the implants, some do a similar massage to the above but doing exactly the same thing on both sides. Consult with your physician on this.

3. When there is a constricted breast like tubular breasts, I sometimes have the patient massage as in #1, sometimes have them massage both sides of the 'circle' to loosen the constricted skin, and usually leave the patient out of a bra if both sides have tubular breasts or constriction at the bottom, or if only one side is constricted, have the patient wear a bra, but cutting out he cup on the side that is constricted, so that only the normal side is supported.

4. Finally, maintenance massage. I disagree with surgeons who want to keep the pocket or 'capsule' of the breast where the implant is contained larger than the implant. This aids in the implant becoming more and more displaced over time, with more separation at the cleavage point especially when you lay down, and can also cause sagging of the breasts. I actually use textured implants as a way to fight the implants moving inside the capsule of the breast so that they stay 'perky'. Natural 'perky' breasts stay in place when standing up or laying down, so 'perky' implants should do the same. I think the implant should fit in the capsule or breast pocket like a glove, and actually be adhesive to it. Thus there is a 'perfect' amount of massage that is necessary to keep this capsule flexible, but not wider than the actual implant and thus allow for movement of the implant and thus sag. I like grabbing the breast and pressing the opposite sides of the 'circle' toward the center, causing the central or nipple area to bulge out. I have my patients do this pushing the top and bottom together, the sides together, and then both diagonals together. This puts more pressure on the central portion of the implant, rather than the sides to allow the implant to continue to be adhesive, but the capsule to not widen. I ask my patients to develop a routine and do it in their morning shower, this way it becomes habitual and they won't forget, as this is a lifelong routine that should be performed.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I Started Massaging Yesterday and my Breast Seem More Sore Today

+1
Some soreness after massage is to be expected;  the use of anti-inflammatories, if okay with your plastic surgeon, may be helpful. Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome.