I Have Swelling in Between my Boobs After Breast Augmentation and Lift 8 Days Post Op is This Normal? (photo)

wondering how long it will take for the swelling in between my boobs as I am 8 days post op to breast lift and augmentaion? I also have a full tummy tuck and it feels really tight and gets sore from pulling how can I stop this pain or help it stretch? moisteriser or an oil?

Swelling Between The Breasts Post Operatively

+2

Thank you for your pictures and the question. You are very early on in your healing. At this point there is a significant amount of inflammation and scarring taking place. Over the next 3 to 6 months the swelling and the scarring process will subside. The swelling you are seeing over your sternum (breast bone) should resolve spontaneously as your healing progresses. If it does not resolve, this would be representative of a condition known as symmastia which will need to be revised.

At this point in your post operative course I recommend that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and make sure you communicate your concerns. Your swelling will most likely correct on it's own over time.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Presternal swelling after augmentation-mastopexies

+2

Usually the swelling over the sternum, between the breasts, takes at least three weeks to resolve, and maybe up to six weeks in my experience.  If it still looks like it does in the photo in another few months, then you may have synmastia which would require surgery to correct. 

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative swelling.

+1
 It is normal has swelling postoperatively.   This usually lasts for about 6 to 12 weeks but the majority of it  results within 14 to 21 days.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Swelling between breasts and tight abdomen

+1

Both of the things you describe are normal. To help minimize the swelling between the breasts, I often put a wide ace wrap around the chest with a rolled up bandage (Kerlix) between the breasts. This puts gentle pressure on that area and reduces the swelling. The abdominal tightness will subside over 1-3 months.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in between the breasts after augmentation

+1

It may take a few weeks for the swelling over the sternum in between your breasts to go down, and this varies from patient to patient. However, if there is any concern that this may be a sign of impending "symmastia", which means the implant pockets may be moving too close together, this problem can require a more difficult surgery to correct.  If I am concerned about this, I would have my patient wear a "breast separator" that fits under your support bra to give some compression in this area and keep the implants from moving too close together.  You should ask your surgeon to examine you now and determine whether they have any concern regarding you possibly developing symmastia later on.  Also, by the way, your abdominal skin will relax without you trying to stretch it (and possibly pull your incision apart!).

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Swelling between breasts following lift

+1

Your breasts look very normal and appropriate for 8 days post op. Expect some swelling for 2-4 weeks. I think you will be pleased with your results. The TT will continue to loosen up and feel not as tight as time goes on. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Trust your surgeon

+1

All in all, it would appear that you have a fabulous result from your breast and tummy procedures.  If you have been lucky enough to find a talented surgeon to do your surgery, please trust him/her  only to answer your questions.  Trust your relationship with this doctor.  I am sure your doctor told you not to attempt to stretch your abdominal skin.  Allow it to slowly stretch on its own.  Continued forced stretch on a t/t scar will only lead to a poor scar.  Patience.   

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Between Breasts after Augmentation # breastimplants

+1

The swelling between your breasts is normal after this procedure and will likely subside within 7-14 days. The tightness you are having in your stomach is mostly a combination of the sutures used to tighten the muscle wall, the removal of skin, and swelling. This will all go down mostly over the next 2-3 weeks. Skin will stretch over time and I would give that several months to happen. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

I Have Swelling in Between my Boobs After Breast Augmentation and Lift 8 Days Post Op is This Normal?

+1

What you are showing and describing is a very normal post operative issue. Best to see your surgeon to discuss in detail. 

Swelling After Breast Surgery

+1

Swelling is fairly common in the early stages of recovery post breast surgery. It's important to not overdue stretching the tightness, as everything will improve and heal with time. Moisturizers and oils will likely not be of much help and could even harm the area. I suggest speaking with your plastic surgeon.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD