How Many Women Suffer from Tubular Breasts on Average?

How common are tubular breasts?

+1

More common that you may realize but that being said, you can achieve a satisfactory correction with augmentation if you are so motivated and willing to accept the risks, including that of the double bubble deformity.  My patients with tubular breasts are all very happy with their results, even if not perfect because the improvements are still quite considerable.  Risks for numb nipples are very real in this situation.

Tubular breasts are common

+1

Thank you for your question. I believe that tubular breasts are more common that most people realize. Many patients have such a mild condition that no specific treatment is necessary but it is common for these patients to consider breast augmentation as most of them are relatively small breasted. The most common minor condition is a large areola with some breast tissue herniated into the areola creating excessive projection in that area. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How Many Women Suffer from Tubular Breasts

+1

I don't think anyone really knows for certain.

There was a study done within the past 10 years that stated that  over half of women asking for breast reduction, and almost 90 per cent of women with breast asymmetry seeking correction fit their definition, but their definition was rather broad. 

There are a number of features that define a tubular breast:
•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

In a busy breast practice I would say well under five percent of patients coming in fit my definition, which would require presence of at least two of the above criteria. This is not a rare condition.

Thank you for your question and best wishes.