What is the Truth About Chest Workouts After Breast Augmentation Under Muscle?

My doc told me not to do any chest involving exercises such as push-ups, chest press, etc EVER because I will risk implant shifting out of place. I have saline under muscle. Another doc says YOU can excerise and that many athletic people, dancers for shows, body builers and so on have implants under the muscle and can still perform their regular exercises. Which is true?? Thanks

The Truth About Chest Workouts After Breast Augmentation

The truth is:

We don't really know the truth, and that is why there are so many differing opinions. I am more in tune with what the "other" doc says, with the exception of body builders. 

(Patients who are body builders or who do a lot of upper body exercises using weights are less tolerant of the "animation" or movement of  the implants when the pectoral muscles are used, and in those I consider above the muscle placement, accepting all the negatives that go along with that choice.)

Almost all women with implants do some exercise and most involves the chest to some degree. 

I would adhere to your surgeon's recommendations for the immediate post-op period, but after three months I would consider those restrictions not needed. Do know however that if any issues occur, your surgeon may attach the blame to you.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Chest Exercises After Breast Augmentation

I do believe that it is very important for patients to refrain from any activities which would involve significant use of their chest (pectoral) muscles or would cause excessive stretch of those muscles during the recovery from a retropectoral (behind the muscle) breast augmentation.  However, once all the healing has completed, and everything is looking good, there is no reason to withhold from any activity or exercise.  Enjoy your new look and body shape in every way you desire without a second thought!  Isn't that what this is all about?

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Go ahead (after you are fully healed)

Implants placed under the pectoral muscle have a big drawback of being shifted sideways when pec muscles contract. However the many benefits outweigh this one issues.  As to the limitations asked about in your question.  To limit your physicial activity is futile.  You might as well never move your arms and let your pecs whither away to ensure you don't displace your implants.  It's unrealistic.
Martin Jugenburg Reviews

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Exercise after BAM

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Truth About Chest Workouts After Breast Augmentation Under Muscle

Thank you for your question. Implants under the muscle do not mean that you cannot exercise once you have healed from your surgery. The implants will shift during exercise, but that is not harmful. Most patients can return to full activity after 2 to 3 months have passed from their surgery. Otherwise, why have the surgery?

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activties, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Upper body exercise after surgery

You can definitely start doing upper body exercises with no problem, after you've recovered. However, your doctor may think that your implants will distort, something that can happen (although not usually). You'll still be able to do strength training,so don't worry about that. However, you may want to ask your doctor why they recommended that since they're more familiar with your situation.

Exercising after breast augmentatioin

To expect someone to never do any exercises that involve the chest are a little unrealistic.  Most surgeons will ask patients to refrain from chest exercises for 6-8 weeks after augmentation.  After that period of time, you should be well-healed. 

Naveen Setty, MD

If its been over 8 weeks you should be able to do everything you used to do before your surgery. Your muscle and skin are as strong as before.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS