How Long Does It Usually Take to Wake Up from General Anesthesia if Going for a Mommy Makeover for 4 Hours?

Waking From Anesthesia

+2

Most patients will wake up within a few minutes of the completion of a Mommy Makeover. Generally as the final dressings are being placed, the anesthesiologist will lighten the anesthesia allowing the patient to gently begin to respond to verbal commands. Even though patients are awake and responding in the operating room, they may not remember this time as the medications given during the surgery will make them forgetful. Once patients are in the recovery room and less sleepy, they will be more aware of their surroundings.

Anesthesia wake-up time after mommy makeover depends on type of anesthesia.

+2

You will often see by the other answers here that if a surgeon operates in a setting that utilizes a certain type of anesthesia more commonly than others, this will be the "recommended" type of anesthesia. Prior to 1991, our office surgical facility utilized only local aneshtesia or IV sedation, and my partners and I touted our anesthetic regimen as "safer and superior" to "going completely asleep" with a general anesthetic. Since 1991, when we started offering full anesthesia options, including monitored sedation and general anesthesia (but using total intravenous anesthesia drugs rather than inhalation anesthetic gases), we have had less postoperative nausea, vomiting, and reoperation for bleeding! So now I truthfully believe that for many patients, our total intravenous general anesthesia regimen is better for patient comfort, safety, and allows me to do my best work without having my patient endure any discomfort! Our patients routinely leave our facility in 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the recovery room, having visited the restroom, sipping a soda, and being dressed! This is the rule, rather than the exception.

If your board-certified plastic surgeon works at a hospital, an anesthesiologist (MD who practices anesthesia) may supervise the anesthesia; ask if he or she will be present for the entire operation, or if your anesthetic will be actually delivered by a CRNA. Also ask what type of anesthesia is going to be used, as most hospitals and many outpatient surgical centers use inhalation anesthetics (gas) rather than IV general anesthetic exclusively--gas is safe, but substantially cheaper. Unfortunately, gas also causes nausea and vomiting in as many as 25-30% of patients, causing longer recovery room stays, and occasionally requiring unplanned overnight admission, or at least a more uncomfortable recovery with a higher risk for bleeding.

You can see for yourself which I believe is better, but ultimately, you are best advised to ask these questions of your plastic surgeon and your anesthesia provider!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time to wake up from anesthesia after a mommy makeover

+2

Patients usually wake up from breast and abdominal surgery within a few minutes of the end of the case.

Modern outpatient anesthetics are very different from older techniques.  Quick emergence is the rule.  Pain pumps postoperatively reduce the amount of narcotics that tend to make patients sleepy and feel drugged.

Patients can help with their recovery by not drinking the night before surgery, by hydrating up until the time they need to be NPO, and by informing themselves thoroughly of what to expect after surgery.

We recommend in all mommy makeover patients to spend one or two nights in a postsurgical aftercare facility, both for their comfort and their safety.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/hybridabdominoplastyprocedure.php

Wake up time

+1
Most patients wake up within a few minutes of the procedure being complete. They then spend about an hour (give or take) in the recovery area. 

Waking up from anesthesia following a Mommy Makeover

+1
My patients begin waking up as soon as they arrive in the recovery room following a mommy makeover. They are monitored for 60-90 minutes prior to discharge. Most patients doze a little longer in the recovery room but are easily awakened upon calling their name. We advise our patient to go directly home from our surgical facility and plan to stay in bed the rest of the evening and take the pain medications as prescribed.

Web reference: http://www.drmoreaplasticsurgery.com/plastic_surgery_pictures.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia & the Mommy Makeover

+1

Anesthesia techniques have improved significantly over the last several years. Many women wake up as soon as the operation is over. The full recovery from anesthesia takes longer. When anesthesia is provided by a skilled anesthesiologist, many patients are up and walking within the hour. Normally it is recommended to have someone with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia and Recovery After Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

Anesthesia is reversed and patients are awake and in the recovery room after Mommy Makeover surgery within a few minutes. Usually, patients will spend about 1-1/2 hours in the recovery room before they are ready for discharge home, if the surgery is being carried out as an outpatient (day surgery). 

Some surgeons still prefer to keep the patients for observation overnight. Generally, I perform Mommy Makeover surgery on an outpatient basis, but this is dependent on both your preferences and your surgeon's.

Web reference: http://www.corygoldbergmd.com/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty.html

Current Anesthesia Techniques Allow Patients to Wake Up Almost Immediately Following the Completion of Surgery

+1

The science of anesthesia has made dramatic advances in the past twenty years. In the past, inhalation anesthesia resulted in slower recoveries with more nausea. Current anesthesia techniques allow patients to wake up almost immediately following the completion of surgery. It’s also important to note that newer anesthetic agents are associated with less nausea following surgery. In addition most patients are ready to leave the surgical facility within one to two hours following the completion of their procedure.
The response to anesthesia varies from patient to patient. It’s fair to say that anesthesia is often the most frequent source of anxiety for patients undergoing cosmetic surgery. It’s also fair to say, that most patients are very happy with their anesthetic experience after surgery. If you have concerns regarding your anesthetic experience make sure you discuss them with your anesthesiologist. This will ultimately alleviate your anxiety and improve the quality of your surgical experience.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia

+1

Most patients will wake up a few minutes after the completion of the procedure for the mommy makeover. They are usually inrecovery room with nursing care for a short period of time. We use modern anesthesia techniques which eliminates the long recovery times. Our medications and the other drugs also reduce if not eliminate the post operative nausea and vomiting. You  are very well taken care of here.

Waking up from anesthesia

+1

You should be awake within a few minutes of having a mommy makeover under general anesthesia.  Of course, you want to have your surgery by a board certified plastic surgeon in a hospital or in a fully certified surgery center.  And your anesthesia should be administered by an anesthesiologist or anesthetist. These are important issues to discuss with your surgeon before surgery.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon