How Long Does It Usually Take to Wake Up from General Anesthesia if Going for a Mommy Makeover for 4 Hours?

Arousal from general anesthesia of 4 hours after makeover

+2
Waking up from general anaesthesia  is a process that is related to the anaesthesia technique. How the anesthetist puts you to sleep and keeps you asleep during the surgery and how you are awakened determines the time required. at least for the initial phase of recovery. There are many drugs and techniques that go into the cocktail an individual case requires, and anesthesia is as complex a decision making process as any aspect of medicine.

But when you awaken from the anaesthetic it isn't a black and white affair. You may be able to open your eyes and respond to commands and swallow, protect your airway from fluids, but aren't yet fully awake and you likely will  remember nothing of what is said to you during the next couple of hours. Even then, anaesthesiologists will counsel you in advance not to drive, operate machinery or do anything requiring legal judgment over the next 24 hours because you are still impaired.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Waking From Anesthesia

+2

Most patients will wake up within a few minutes of the completion of a Mommy Makeover. Generally as the final dressings are being placed, the anesthesiologist will lighten the anesthesia allowing the patient to gently begin to respond to verbal commands. Even though patients are awake and responding in the operating room, they may not remember this time as the medications given during the surgery will make them forgetful. Once patients are in the recovery room and less sleepy, they will be more aware of their surroundings.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Anesthesia wake-up time after mommy makeover depends on type of anesthesia.

+2

You will often see by the other answers here that if a surgeon operates in a setting that utilizes a certain type of anesthesia more commonly than others, this will be the "recommended" type of anesthesia. Prior to 1991, our office surgical facility utilized only local aneshtesia or IV sedation, and my partners and I touted our anesthetic regimen as "safer and superior" to "going completely asleep" with a general anesthetic. Since 1991, when we started offering full anesthesia options, including monitored sedation and general anesthesia (but using total intravenous anesthesia drugs rather than inhalation anesthetic gases), we have had less postoperative nausea, vomiting, and reoperation for bleeding! So now I truthfully believe that for many patients, our total intravenous general anesthesia regimen is better for patient comfort, safety, and allows me to do my best work without having my patient endure any discomfort! Our patients routinely leave our facility in 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the recovery room, having visited the restroom, sipping a soda, and being dressed! This is the rule, rather than the exception.

If your board-certified plastic surgeon works at a hospital, an anesthesiologist (MD who practices anesthesia) may supervise the anesthesia; ask if he or she will be present for the entire operation, or if your anesthetic will be actually delivered by a CRNA. Also ask what type of anesthesia is going to be used, as most hospitals and many outpatient surgical centers use inhalation anesthetics (gas) rather than IV general anesthetic exclusively--gas is safe, but substantially cheaper. Unfortunately, gas also causes nausea and vomiting in as many as 25-30% of patients, causing longer recovery room stays, and occasionally requiring unplanned overnight admission, or at least a more uncomfortable recovery with a higher risk for bleeding.

You can see for yourself which I believe is better, but ultimately, you are best advised to ask these questions of your plastic surgeon and your anesthesia provider!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Time to wake up from anesthesia after a mommy makeover

+2

Patients usually wake up from breast and abdominal surgery within a few minutes of the end of the case.

Modern outpatient anesthetics are very different from older techniques.  Quick emergence is the rule.  Pain pumps postoperatively reduce the amount of narcotics that tend to make patients sleepy and feel drugged.

Patients can help with their recovery by not drinking the night before surgery, by hydrating up until the time they need to be NPO, and by informing themselves thoroughly of what to expect after surgery.

We recommend in all mommy makeover patients to spend one or two nights in a postsurgical aftercare facility, both for their comfort and their safety.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+1
Thank you for the excellent question.  The time taken to wake up for anesthesia is dependent on the technique.  You will need general anesthesia.  You will be able to converse and walk within an hour.  You will start to feel like yourself again by the next day.  Best of luck.

Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Waking up from Anesthesia after 4 hour Mommy Makeover

+1
This is an interesting question - many women have concerns about undergoing elective surgery and recovery from anesthesia. Typically you wakeup from anesthesia within 15 minutes after which time you will leave the OR for the Recovery Room. We typically recover our patients for about 1.5 hours for outpatient surgery. It may take up to almost 4 days to feel like the anesthesia has completely worn off - hydration helps.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

How long does it take to wake up following a mommy makeover?

+1
This is a great question and one in which there will be many variables.  The key predictor is the attitude and practice of the surgeon and anesthesia provider.  When I perform these procedures, I combine local anesthetics both short and long acting in combination with general anesthesia.  Basically, I have a discussion with the anesthesiologist about limiting the amount of inhaled anesthetic and opioid pain medication.  I try to be as meticulous as possible with my injections and allow adequate time for the local anesthetic to take effect. 

By limiting the inhaled anesthetic and opioid, my patients wake up at the completion of the case in a few minutes and are not nauseated and are comfortable due to my infiltration of local anesthetics which include Exparel for 3 days worth of relief. 

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Wake up time

+1
Most patients wake up within a few minutes of the procedure being complete. They then spend about an hour (give or take) in the recovery area. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Waking up from anesthesia following a Mommy Makeover

+1
My patients begin waking up as soon as they arrive in the recovery room following a mommy makeover. They are monitored for 60-90 minutes prior to discharge. Most patients doze a little longer in the recovery room but are easily awakened upon calling their name. We advise our patient to go directly home from our surgical facility and plan to stay in bed the rest of the evening and take the pain medications as prescribed.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

General Anesthesia & the Mommy Makeover

+1

Anesthesia techniques have improved significantly over the last several years. Many women wake up as soon as the operation is over. The full recovery from anesthesia takes longer. When anesthesia is provided by a skilled anesthesiologist, many patients are up and walking within the hour. Normally it is recommended to have someone with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon