Price for Mommy Makeover, Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift, Liposculpture and Brazilian Butt Lift

I'm considering going to Rio, Brazil for a Mommy makeover, tummy tuck, breast lift, Liposculpture / Brazilian butt lift. I’m being told it's going to coast me 14,000 for the total surgery. What price would I pay here in USA for the same procedures?

Costs for Multiple Procedures, Here vs. "There"

The arithmetic is not that simple:

• Regional U.S variations for the procedures you mention: ~$17,000 - 25,000.
  • Variations depending on amount of liposuction.
  • Cost of Breast Lift vs. Lift with Implants
    • type of implants
  • Out-patient vs. overnight stay/recovery facility

In thinking about the costs of travel, for safety, fly 2 weeks pre-op and stay at least 2 weeks post-op + cost of accommodations for you and caregiver. (Don't plan on this being a "vacation!")

If surgery goes perfectly, post-op care can be simple.  If you have any problems, follow-up can be a bit more complicated if you have surgery abroad.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Beware of Overseas Plastic Surgery

Your cost we'll vary based on the experience of your surgeon, the location of his practice as well as the medical facility which is performed. That being said, Beware of the risks and downsides of medical tourism(traveling abroad to undergo elective surgery) !
Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices.
However, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.
Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit.
In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fees

First off, make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon for any plastic surgery. There are many cosmetic surgeons who may not be trained in plastic surgery who still can offer you surgery. Also, if you are going to travel for surgery, there are added risks in being away from your surgeon or family during the recover.  Second, don't let price drive you to have surgery from a surgeon with whom you are not comfortable with. Third, you need to decide between breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, mini-tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, and body lift procedures.
In Columbus, Ohio where I practice, the total price (surgeon's fees, anesthesia fees and facility fees) for a mommy makeover can range between $6000 and $14000

Price for extensive body contouring.

I think you would find that the cost for all of the procedures you listed would be substantially more expensive in the USA or Canada.  I would be concerned about doing that much surgery on a patient in a single day.  That issue aside, many of the costs of surgery are related to safety, such as the training and credentials of every health professional taking care of you before, during and after your operation, the maintenance and inspection of the surgical facility, quality of materials used during your operation, etc. Price is of course an important consideration but when comparing prices one needs to make sure they are comparing procedures of equal quality and safety.  In my country, any plastic surgeon doing an operation in a facility other than a hospital must undergo a rigorous inspection process, that assesses the surgeon's expertise and the standards of the facility. If you are considering surgery abroad I'd recommend investigating thoroughly before making a choice on price alone.

Cost of mommy makeover

The price of your surgery might be more in the US, but consider the cost of travel, hotels, and other expenses associated with traveling for plastic surgery.  Also, remember that minor revisions are not uncommon.  You don't want to have to travel back to Rio just for touch ups.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Costs of Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

US cost of procedures

The cost here varies considerably based upon region, surgeon experience, and the particulars of your surgery (type of lift, number of areas of liposuction, etc). Your best bet is to visit several board certified plastic surgeons in your area for surgical recommendations and pricing.

Grant Stevens, MD

Surgery overseas, Cost vs US

First I do not think doing those procedures all at one time is prudent to your health and safety. Second, any complication that occurs from surgery in Brazil will be an out of pocket expense to you here in the US and you likely will spend much more money correcting the problem. Having surgery here in the US will assure you always have help if/when it is needed and a responsive surgeon. There are many factors of cost in the US that cannot be related to Brazil. Is it less expensive...yes, but you have to decide if your health and safety is worth the extra $2-5K. In Florida those procedures would be between $16-$22K

Surgery

We do not operate on the same price schedule as brazil. Insurance costs are so high that fee could never be matched in the USA. You are mentioning a lot of procedures here. It is not safe to have a marathon surgery session and have all of these procedures done at once

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What Is The Cost of BBL/FTT/BL & Lipo in Hawaii?

A pretty full Mommy Makeover, including lipo, breast lift, tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift usually runs $18,000 - $25,000 in Hawaii.  A savings of $4,000 - $10,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but if the surgery needs to be redone or if complications develop, a second flight to Brazil and the price of a second surgery in Brazil is also nothing to sneeze at. 

Some of the plastic surgeons in Brazil are some of the best plastic surgeons in the world.  Some are not.  In the United States, to include Hawaii, are most of the best Board Certified cosmetic plastic surgeons in the world.  Traveling outside of the United States for cosmetic surgery seems, to me, equivalent to looking outside of New Orleans for the best jambalaya. 

The combination of procedures that you are interested in (most of the Mommy Makeover plus BBL) are often done in my surgery center, but of course require an overnight stay.  Philadelphia is replete with excellent plastic surgeons, and as W. C. Fields said on his tombstone, "I'd rather be in Philadelphia".