How Long Must I Wait After Broken Nose/closed Reduction to Have Repair Rhinoplasty?

Hello, on the 4th of January I was in a car accident and broke my nose (minor nasal pyramid displacement). I went to an ENT specialist and he scheduled a closed reduction for one week after the accident - unfortunately, he encountered some difficulty during the reduction and couldn't properly set it back in place. I'm now looking to have whatever operation necessary to fix the issue. My question is, how long must I wait after closed reduction to have rhinoplasty to fix any assymetry? Thank you.

Timing of rhinoplasty following a nasal fracture

+3

I am a bit more conservative in recommending early rhinoplasty after closed reduction for a nasal fracture. I like to wait 6 months unless there is gross deformity that requires an early open reduction. This is to allow the swelling to resolve and see if there are any other problems that are not apparent initially. I would follow you at bi-weekly and then monthly intervals initially. See a Plastic or fellowship trained Facial Plastic Surgeon with good expertise and artistic judgement in nasal surgery. Best of luck. Sorry for your unfortunate encounter. 

When can I have rhinoplasty following a closed nasal reduction?

+2

Hello, and very sorry to hear about your accident. In general, you should wait around 6 months after a closed nasal reduction to have rhinoplasty. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Broken nose repair

+2

Closed reduction of a nasal fracture has a poor success rate, so we perform osteotomies to re-set the fracture properly.  Open reduction of the nasal fracture gives a much more predictable and consistent result.  All of the incisions are located inside the nose, this is not open rhinoplasty . Expect a cast on the nose and bruising for a week.  No packing is placed inside the nose. It is acceptable to have it repaired at any time.  

Nasal trauma and rhinoplasty

+2

My usual routine for traumatic nasal injuriesis to try to reduce it as best that I can within the first week or two.  However, this will only straighten the nose a bit.  A rhinoplasty willmost likely be needed about 6 months later to remove dorsal hump, straighten it more and remove irregularities. this refinement can not be done during the initial phase of healing because the nose can collapse.

Optimal time for Rhinoplasty after traumatic nasal deformity

+2

It is not always possible, to achieve a perfect result by performing closed reduction of a fractured nose. In my practice I wait at least six mounths before performing the definite rhinoplasty. This allows for the swelling to disappaer and all the damaged structures settle in . It is a good idea to bring a picture of the nose ( before the accident ) to your consultation to be reviewed by your Plastic Surgeon.  

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+2

If you have only undergone closed reduction (no osteotomies or "cuts" made in your nasal bones) I would recommend waiting 6-12 weeks after your injury to perform a rhinoplasty. If you ask 10 plastic surgeons this question you'll likely hear 11 different answers but this timeframe works very well. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the broken nose.

+2

Rhinoplasty for the broken nose after closed reduction is usually about 2-3 months since we need to wait for the swelling from the closed reduction to subside.

Nasal Surgery Timing

+2

I have had other patients in your situation. It would be best to let things settle down for at least a couple months. You need to be sure the swelling is resolved so an accurate correction can be done at the second surgery. Also, if anything else needs to be done to improve the appearance of your nose, it can be done at this setting. Something can be done sooner if your surgeon deems that swelling and healing from the closed reduction are over.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Fracture

+2

The safest approach is to let healing and reduction in post-injury swelling to completely resolve, now that you are almost 4 weeks out.  In general that is 6-12 months.  

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

You will want to wait until the bones are healed before getting a rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question.  Although there is no specific time frame that everyone agrees upon, you will want to wait at least until your bones have healed and the swelling has gone away.  This will be at least 6 weeks and perhaps a little longer.  I would arrange several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.  You can then get an idea of your plastic surgeons choice of time frame as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD