How Long Does Tip Swelling and Hardness Last?

I had an open primary rhinoplasty four months ago to refine my tip (ps used sutures and strut graft) but it doesn't look any smaller than before. It's big, hard and even overprojected looking. My doctor said if its hard then it's still swollen. Will it eventually soften up and decrease in size? Or, should I consider a revision after it's done healing? It's hard to beleive that my tip is 40% still swollen.

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+4

Tip swelling is very common and expected after rhinoplasty.  I explain to my patients before surgery that they should expect 75% of the swelling to come down the first month, 85% by 3 months, and the remaining 15% should persist for a full year.  Of course, everyone is different and depending on the amount of work and grafts placed into the tip, one can have swelling and hardness for a prolonged period of time.  Tip swelling and hardness can be associated, however, hardness can also occur as a result of grafting to the tip.  If the surgery was 4 months ago, I would continue to be patient and allow the remainder of the swelling to subside and stay in touch with your surgeon during this time to discuss your progress before making any plans for a revision.  All the best. 

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty and swelling

+3

In general, the tip of the nose will take more time for the swelling to resolve.  Swelling is part of  the body's mechanism of healing, and essentially it is water in the tissues (much like a full sponge).  Because the tip is at the lowest part of the nose, water will preferentially "roll downhill."  An open rhinoplasty adds incisions that disconnect the normal drainage, thus requiring a longer time for the swelling to resolve.  This varies with individual skin quality, but 6-12 months is not unusual. 

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Generally, healing following nasal surgery takes as long as 12-18 months.

+2

Generally, healing following nasal surgery takes as long as 12-18 months.  After it is completely healed, the nose will feel soft and quite natural.  Because of this, if the tip feels “hard” still, it is likely still swollen with healing that is ongoing.  It will definitely soften up to feel more natural, ultimately, and will very likely decrease in size. 

Occasionally, injections of Triancinalone into the soft tissue of the tip will help speed up the resolution of any soft tissue swelling and edema.  I would certainly wait at least 12-18  months before even considering any revision surgery.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Open incision rhinoplasty has tip swelling for up to a year. After that you can consider revision. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

One must always expect some degree of swelling and bruising after a rhinoplasty.  The splint, since it compresses the soft tissue will keep some of the early swelling down.  Once this compression is removed the entire nose can swell.  Do not be discouraged, the swelling will gradually improve over the next few months.  Other than ice and elevation there is not much you can do to speed the process along.  The firmness of the nasal tip takes up to 6 months to resolve.  

Swelling following tip rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have significant tip swelling following open rhinoplasty with grafting.  The firmness you describe suggests that there is still substantial swelling present in your nasal tip.  I would usually expect that swelling would have decreased by four months post-op but you may have some swelling or the tip for up to 18 months.  You may want to visit your surgeon to evaluate whether steroid injections or similar techniques may hasten resolution.

Web reference: http://www.miltonhallplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling and firmness

+1

Depending on the degree of tip work done and how aggressive the surgeon was, I would expect tip swelling and firmness for 6-12 months. After that things should be getting back to normal

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Length of Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

If your tip is firm, it is swollen - this will change as healing progresses.  Wait at least one year before considering a revision.

Tip swelling

+1

After a rhinoplasty it is normal to stay swollen and the tip stay hard sometimes as long as a year after the procedure.

Persistent Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Beaumont3293, Tip swelling and firmness can take a full year to resolve, especially with an external rhinoplasty. A lot of other factors come into play in terms of how long the swelling lasts, including the type of skin you have, your particular anatomy and any medications you may be taking. As long as the tip is not red/discolored or painful, I would be patient with the results and give it 12 months before you consider any revision procedures. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon so he/she may be able to guide you through the next few months. In some cases, some surgeons may consider injecting Kenalog or a similar steroid into the area of persistent swelling. This depends on your skin type and anatomy, so it may not be right for you, and best left to your surgeon’s discretion. Hope this helps. Hang in there!