Immediately After Rhinoplasty Surgery I Noticed I Had Torus Palatinus and Torus Mandibularis - What is the Cause?

Immediately after I came out of the operating room I noticed I had a huge bump/ulcer on my hard palate(torus palatinus) and days later I started developing in my lower gums-torus mandibularis, its been growing and its painful. Why would those appear after nose surgery? Did the doctor put pressure on my palate or something? Are those toruses only able to remove with surgery?

Rhinoplasty and Post Operative Mouth Sores, Ulcers and Bony prominence

+2

Hi Pamela,

It is very unlikely that Rhinoplasty could cause Post Operative Tori.

These are  Bony prominences and are benign and were present prior to surgery.

You just did not know and had not noticed them.

Dr. S

Tori of mouth

+1

Torus mandibularis and torus palatinus are bony prominences unrlalted to yoru rhinoplasty. It is likely that you had them and were never aware of them.

Mouth sores are unrelated to rhinoplasty

+1

There is nothing about rhinoplasty which could explain the bumps or sores in your mouth. After very many years in practice I have not seen mouth sores related to the 'breathing tube' in the course of anesthesia. Let your surgeon know, but also check in with your primary physician to help track down the cause.

peterejohnsonmd

Your torus palatinus and torus mandibularis were likely present for years before your nose job surgery.

+1

A torus palatinus is a long-standing, benign, bony, firm protruberance in the midline of your hard palate. Some patients are not aware of their existence until noted on a dental or head and neck examination: they tend to be asymptomatic unless you're getting fitted for dentures.

It's not uncommon to have painful irritation of your palate after orotracheal intubation. If the breathing tube was resting firmly on your torus, you could develop a painful ulceration that may take a week or longer to resolve.

I'm not sure why you're having ulceration and pain in lower gums. You should certainly let your surgeon know what's happening in your mouth, and ask him to examine you. If your surgeon is unsure what's going on, you should consult a reputable, certified ENT for further evaluation and management.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dr Schafer's advise is right on the button. Torus palatinus (pl. tori palatinus) is a bony protrusion on the palate. Palatal tori are usually present on the midline of the hard palate. Most palatal tori are less than 2 cm in diameter, but their size can change throughout life.Prevalence of palatal tori ranges from 9% - 60% and are more common than bony growths occurring on the mandible, known as torus mandibularis. Palatal tori are more common in Asian and Inuit populations, and twice more common in females. In the United States, the prevalence is 20% - 35% of the population with similar findings between blacks and whites.
Although some research suggest palatal tori to be an autosomal dominant trait, it is generally believed that palatal tori are caused by several factors. They are more common in early adult life and can increase in size. In some older people, the size of the tori may decrease due to bone resorption. Consequently, it is believed that mandibular tori are the result of local stresses and not solely on genetic influences.Sometimes, the tori are categorized by their appearance. Arising as a broad base and a smooth surface, flat tori are located on the midline of the palate and extend symmetrically to either side. Spindle tori have a ridge located at their midline. Nodular tori have multiple bony growths that each have their own base. Lobular tori have multiple bony growths with a common base.
Palatal tori are usually a clinical finding with no treatment necessary. It is possible for ulcers to form on the area of the tori due to repeated trauma. Also, the tori may complicate the fabrication of dentures. If removal of the tori is needed, surgery can be done to reduce the amount of bone present. 

Thus, I doubt the rhinoplasty caused their occurrence, but made them more noticeable. Best of luck from MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Mouth Lesions after Rhinoplasty

+1

Pamela

Most likely these lesions are the result of pressure from the endotracheal tube and should get better with time.  I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ulcers after surgery

+1

You need to see your surgeon for evaluation.  It is not normal for you to have ulcers in your mouth after rhinoplasty surgery.  It may just be coincidence.  However, your issue is beyond what can be answered in this forum and the best person to evaluate you is your surgeon, since they are familiar with the procedure you had done, your medical history and what occurred in the operating room.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD