Hump After Nose Job

i had a nose job 1 month and 2 weeks ago. This nose job was to correct my deviated septum and to remove the big hump i had on my nose. After the doctor removed the tape on my nose, like 2 days after, a hump start growing. Now i have this hump on my nose, it's smaller than the one i had before, but i hate it. So i visited my surgeon and he told me that my nose didnt look like this before, so he gave me this cream i have to use for 15 days. But, is this hump just swelling? is this normal? IM 15

Bridge fullness after rhinoplasty

+2

I would agree that the first issue to consider is sof t tissue swelling, since it sounds like the profile was appropriate right after the splint was removed.  That would take care of itself with time.  However I agree with one of the other surgeons who note that humps can regrow.  We have all seen the scenario.  My explanation would also include that the periosteum becomes active and thickened after trauma (which is one reason why broken noses have that hump on top).  Left unchecked, that periosteum can either remain thickened, calcify, or lay down additional bone.  in the end, we see fullness of the bridge that was not present before trauma or surgery.

You can remedy this with a simple office injection of kenalog.  In fact, the surgeon can feel the needle pop through this rind of inflammation and enter the space that is expanded, almost like the shell of an egg.  No additional surgery.  But it should be done soon, before the body matures in this full state.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

This sounds as if not enough hump was removed off the nose

+2

If there is a hump left then there is probably still a residual hump that would benefit from reduction.  It could be swelling but that is doubtful.  I am not aware of any creams that could help this situation.  If it is just swelling, taping will probably help but that is doubtful.  I would have to see it to determine.  

best,

Dr. Sam Lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give the nose time to reduce swelling

+1

The periosteum and muscle over the nasal bone swell after Rhinoplasty. This takes months to resolve and the skin feels spongy over the bridge. We recommend massage 2-3x/ day and occasionally re- taping for a month. The scar fade gels will help. Give it time! Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump after Nose Job

+1

Just 6 weeks after rhinoplasty, this hump is probably swelling. If this persists a minor revision may be necessary. At the present time, be patient. I'm not aware of any creams that would be beneficial.

Nasal hump can be temporary

+1

A hump that recurs after rhinoplasty is most likely due to the formation of fibrous tissue at the area of a bony injury. This can be easily seen in anyone who has broken a collar bone and has a big lump where the bone is healing. I agree that an injection of steroid is appropriate in this circumstance to help the fullness disappear as quickly as possible. Nightly taping can also help. Ultimately, discuss this with your surgeon.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump after rhinoplasty.

+1

This is probably just swelling and goes away. If your surgeon is not concerned don't worry about it since he knows what he did.

It's unusual to see a profile-bump on your nose 6 weeks after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. It's possible the bump is swelling, but more likely, you're seeing a bump as your soft-tissue swelling is resolving. In general, your profile should look nice when your dressing is removed. The front view tends to look more swollen.

If the bump is just swelling, it should feel soft, and disappear with gentle digital compression.

Many bumps on the bridge of your nose may be improved after Rhinoplasty Surgery with a well-performed Injectable Filler procedure. My preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off label filler, for permanent results.

Feel free to email your photos, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump of nose

+1

Unless there was unsual bony ingrowth, humps do not regrow.  It may very well be swelling of the soft tissue and you should give it time to heal. If this hump is still present at one year, you may need a small revision.

Hump after rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible that you have some swelling in the area of surgery that needs time to get better.  For this reason, I sometimes tape the nose after I remove the splint to help minimize this occurrence.  I would suggest you not worry unless it seem to stay exactly the same for the next 3 to 6 months.  If so, often a minor revision should take care of it. 

Julius W. Few, MD

Hump After Nose Job

+1

Very unusual to have a hump REGROW!. A posted photo would help. Sounds like a too conservative of removal of your hump. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski