For How Long Do I Have to Use a Sunscreen on my Upper Eyelid Surgery Scars?

My plastic surgeon told me to use a sunscreen on my upper blepharoplasty surgical scars. They are visible on the outer corner of each eye. I am 7 weeks post-op and the scars are still purple. How much longer should I use a sunscreen?

It is advised to use sunscreen on scars

+3

It is advised to use sunscreen on scars until the scars have completely faded.  If they are still red or purplish, you should continue to use sunscreen on the area.  Of course it is always advisable to use sunscreen.  But particularly you should avoid sun completely on any bruising.  There are many different sunscreens on the market.  I recommend Elta MD as it is medical grade, non-chalky, and paraben free.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Long Do I Have to Use a Sunscreen on my Upper Eyelid Surgery Scars...

+2

Care is needed with your blepharoplasty incision because it is a very sensative area.  Following a Blepharoplasty, sunscreen is very important because the sun can make the incision more red or dark in color, which can take several months to resolve.  You should apply it frequently on your upper eye lids for a period of 6 months after surgery.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun Protection After Blepharoplasty

+2

Sun protection after blepharoplast is important. 

• Scars are sun/UV-sensitive for at least 6 months post-op.  Ultraviolet exposure can lead to scar thickening and pigmentation.
  • Sunscreen can be very irritating if it gets into the eyes.
  • The natural crease of the eyelid does offer some protection.
  • If you use makeup, choose a prooduct with built-in sun-block.
  • I recommend the use of sunglasses to protect the scars.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Protecting your eyelid incisions from the sun

+2

Sunscreen is always a good idea - it can help to prevent premature aging of the skin, as well as to protect you from sun-damage-related skin cancers. That being said, I rarely ask my patients to put suncreen on their upper eyelid incisions- this type of incision is generally protected in the natural lid crease when your eyes are open. The scars may be red for some weeks after surgery as part of the healing process, but then tends to settle down and fade to your natural skin color. I suspect you will begin to notice this change soon, but if your are concerned, you should not hesitate to speak with your surgeon about this.

Katherine A. Lane, MD
South Burlington Oculoplastic Surgeon

Use sunscreen until eyelid scars turn skin color

+2

I tell my eyelid surgery patients to use sunscreen, on their incisions, until they turn the same color as their skin.  If your eyelid surgery incisions are purple, they're still healing and sun exposure will not help them heal.

Blepharoplasty and sunscreen

+2

Protecting immature scars from UV exposure is always a good idea.  Having said that, sunscreen can be very irritating if it gets into the eyes.  With perspiration and rubbing of your eyelids this is more frequent a problem than not.  Furthermore, the natural creases of your lids often will conceal your scars from sun exposure.  Stay practical minimize exposure if possible for 6 monhts and use sunglasses/shades.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen keeps scars camouflaged.

+2

In general, I recommend sunscreen be applied to all incision sites (once they've healed) for a period of six-months after surgery.  The rationale for this is that scars exposed to the sun have a tendency to get very tanned (hyper-pigment) initially and in some instances bleach-out/turn white (hypo-pigment) later on.  This obviously draws attention to the scars and makes them extremely visible.

That being said, eyelids are a privileged site in the sense that the incision is well hidden and nearly always heals beautifully.  Only in very rare circumstances do eyelid scars hyper- or hypo-pigment (increase or decrease in their darkness).  The only times I've seen this is amongst patients who use tanning salons and do not use eye protection, or in patients who spend a lot of time sunbathing - both of which are bad ideas if you want to stay looking youthful and prevent skin cancer. 

Bottom line, if you don't live in an extremely sunny climate and don't spend much time in the sun, then you can likely skip the sunscreen on your eyelids and wear eye-covering sunglasses.  If you do live where it's really sunny, enjoy many outdoor activities, or simply want to keep your skin looking its best, then you should be using a skin moisturizer with sunscreen (Sun Protection Factor-SPF 30 or greater) that can also be applied to your eyelids - this will keep your skin looking young, help prevent skin cancer, and finally, keep your incisions looking inconspicuous. 

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

+1

You should use sunscreen indefinitely unless you are using UVA/UVB protected eye glasses.  Your skin should have some kind of UV protection, either mechanically or chemically.  This will protect your investment and assist in prevention of further damage.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Sunscreen on scars after Surgery

+1

Of course it is a good idea to apply sunscreen to any sunexposed area on a daily basis.  Scars can very rarely develop darkness or hyperpigmentation so I tell patients to be very careful about sunexposure and apply sunscreen to the scars at least for the first year.   Some redness to a scar 7 weeks after surgery is normal and it will usually fade by 3 months. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun screen after eyelid surgery

+1

I do not advise patients to use sun screen following eyelid surgery.  The incision is placed in the fold of the upper eyelid  and thus not exposed to the sun.  Sun screen will only get into your eyes and cause irritation.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)