Scarring After Upper Eye Lid Surgery

I had upper and lower eye lid surgery 3 weeks ago and I can see a scar forming in both upper eye lids, area close to the tear duct,and a bit along the corners of both lower eye lids. I tend to form keloids but my surgeon assured me he had never ever seen a keloid in the upper lids and I researched it on the web and most physicians agreed with him. My surgeon says I should wait scar still swollen, etc. Please advise, I am very, very worried. thank you in advance.

Give the scars some more time.

+3

A bit more red and inflammed than normal. Be sure you are not putting antibiotic ointment on that is causing an allergy--much more common that recognized. I would recommend you switch to a different ointment--or none. You can use silicone gels--sheeting is simply too difficult in this area. With time I am sure the scars will settle down and look good--the only time I ever have to revise upper lid scars is when the patient accidently opened the scar (typically by sleeping on side and rubbing/pressure against incision) right after the sutures were removed.

The revision is not a big deal and can be done in the office with just a bit of lidocaine...if it comes to that.

Good luck!

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery and post operative scars

+3

At just three weeks after your upper eyelid surgery it is still very early in the healing process.  Scars are most noticeable 3 to 6 weeks following the surgery and usually will improve and fade substantially over the next 3 to 6 months, even without treatment.  Check with your surgeon first, but it probably would be safe to begin applying 1% hydrocortizone cream to the scars and/or using a finer thickness of silicon scar sheeting.  If these conservative treatments don't improve your situation, your surgeon may want to consider a small amount of an  injectable steroid such as kenalog or solumedrol.  Please try not to worry, I believe your scars will improve substantially, just give it time.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Keloids are very rare with eyelid surgery

+2

IMHO, keloid and even hypertrophic scars are quite uncommon in eyelid surgery in my 20 plus year experience performing that surgery. Follow your surgeons advice and try not to panic.

You will be fine

+2
Trust your surgeon and follow his recommendations. Your scar will be fine. No treatment at this time.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Poor Scarring After Upper Eye Lid Surgery

+2

It is exceedingly rare for upper lid Blepharoplasty scars to "turn bad". While your 3 week old scars are not Keloid like (overflowing the margins of the original incision) they are raised and hypertrophic. Such scars may benefit from being injected with dilute corticosteroids such as Kenalog. The Kenalog may flatten the scars but may also widen them.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Scars at three weeks, way too early to evaluate

+2

scarring after eyelid surgery is generally very acceptable to imperceptible, if you give it enough time to mature. redness is normal for weeks to even a few months. try some gentle massage. it WILL get better. if there is a scar in the inner corner, it can be treated. this all assumes the incision was properly placed. the incision  looks good on picture but hard to see the inner corner well. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

These are some ugly looking scars.

+2

Dear Bluemoon

Even though these are ugly right now, it is so very early from your eyelid surgery.  In time these incision will quiet and be much more acceptable.  In the photos, you show absolutely on evidence of keloid formation.  The scar is a little ropey in the upper eyelids toward the nose.  An option at this point would be to inject relatively dilute kenalog into the thickest portion of these to help speed their resolution.  However, it is very likely that these will quiet even without the steroids.  How long will this process take?  My crystal ball says that these incision will be much, much better in 4 months and even better improved at 6 months.

Scars from eyelid surgery

+2

It is very unusual for bad scars to form after eyelid surgery.  The eyelid skin is usually the thinnest skin on the body and therefore does not tend to scar.  Three weeks is still very early after surgery.  I recommend patience and to see your eyelid surgeon on followup as suggested. 

James Tang, MD

Scar Thickening May Subside

+2

In the early weeks after blepharoplasty, it is common to see some thickening of the scar at the inner and/or outer corners of the eyelid. As the scars mature during the year after surgery, this does usually subside to leave a very satisfactory scar.

Stay closely in touch with your surgeon about your concerns and resist the temptation to have someone meddle with the maturing scar: "quick fixes" can cause more harm than good.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

+1

Your surgeon is correct.  We rarely see poor scarring in the upper eyelid area.  This is one of the best healing areas on the body.  The time is too soon to form an opinion on the final outcome.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon