How Can I Relieve Long-Lasting Bruising After Eyelid Surgery

I had a lower Blepharoplasty performed 3 months ago and experienced severe bruising which settled below my eye. I applied cold compresses for twelve days, and discovered a topical arnica treatment (bruise guard)that I have applied since then. The bruises are still present, brownish and puffy in color, and are in a moon shape crescent on the upper most portion of my cheeks. I have massaged them, applied bruise guard daily, and want to know what else can be done. I look more tired than ever with the bruises. Deb

Discoloration from bruising after eyelid surgery.

+2

The discoloration, that you are describing, after bruising from your lower eyelid surgery 3 months ago is most likely hemosiderin pigment that has stained the skin.  This discoloration most often goes away on it's own but can take 6-12 months.  You can see a dermatologist, in your area, for treatment options if your eyelid surgeon gives you a referral.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

It will go away

+2

If and when bruising is extensive, there is simply more blood-related pigment left in the skin that takes longer to resolve. You are doing the right things--arnica has been shown to help, but usually in prevention more that recovery. Gentle massage helps also. IPL's and lasers may help, but may cause further down time, so be careful with how intense these are used. Ultimately, time is on your side--use a good concealer and gradually the color will go away.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Eyelid surgery

+2

Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, can frequently lead to mild bruising under the eyes.  This typically resolves after 10 days.  However, persistent bruising at 3 months after surgery may be the result of hemosiderin deposits in the skin.  This may slowly fade and at times can take 6 months to 1 year before it resolves.  IPL/ light therapy or laser treatment may expedite things.  

Web reference: http://www.funkfacialplastics.com

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after lower eyelid surgery

+1

Bruising is expected after eyelid surgery and it usually resolves after 7 to 10 days.  Persistent bruising and discoloration of the soft tissues can occur.  There is really no magic cure as this will ultimately resolve on its own.  Occasionally alternating warm and cool compresses can help as well as on over the counter herbal product, Bromelean.  The usual antibruising dose is 500 mg twice a day between meals.

Eyelid Surgery

+1

Your bruising is longer than we are accustomed to seeing.  You may be taking aspirin like compounds such as aspirin, bufferin, advil, Naprosyn, or other NSAID drugs.  These may contribute to this bruising.  You may also be taking herbs like ginko biloba which also contribute to bruising.  If you are taking any aspirin or aspirin-like medication, stop until you are healed.  Also, stop herb therapy if you are taking any.  Supplementation should consist of only a multivitamin like a centrum once a day, and a healthy diet.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

After 3 months it may not be bruises

+1

It may be that there are bruises that last a long time.  But, after 3 months it may not be bruises.  it may simply be the vasculature under the skin - which now may be more obvious if the skin has been lifted up during the blepharoplasty.  So, the cause of the dark circles has to be determined.  If it is vascular sometimes IPL or Intense Pulse Light treatment may be helpful.  If it is pigmentation, hydroquinone may be helpful.

Web reference: http://www.shopchelseacosmetic.com/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.