How Long Does Minoxidil 5 Take to Work? (photo)

Hi may i know how long does minoxidil take to work to fully regrow all my hair?

Minoxidil - how long to work?

Minoxidil takes 4-6 months before an individual should assess whether or not it helps. 

Minoxidil is FDA approved for genetic hair loss - it does not help other conditions quite so much. However, minoxidil is used "off-label" for treating telogen effluvium, scarring alopecia and alopecia areata. 

The main use is androgenetic alopecia in men and women. It helps roughly 30 percent either maintain or achieve a slight improvement in scalp coverage. A full six months of use is recommended before deciding if it is helpful or not. 

How long does it take Rogaine to work?

Typically here in my Cincinnati Ohio office,  if a patient were to ask me this question, I would respond by asking them "what is your definition of work"
First of all Rogaine has been proven to help in the crown area if used properly BUT most people do not use the product as prescribed due to the fact it needs to be rubbed into the scalp when you wake up and before you go to bed. Because of the labor involved, most people only use it 1 x per day and when they don't see results they tend to move on to the next thing.
The fact is, if it's not easy to use, people are not going to do it!
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but we have found that the Capillus272 is an exceptional product because it works and people can follow the protocol because it is easy to use. If you can put on a baseball cap for 30 minutes 3 x per week than you can have success!

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

About 6 Months

There’s no medication that will stop hair loss forever. I don’t have any polling data that shows what percentage of Rogaine users actually have perceptible or worth while results.  It does generally take about 6 months to see some results. 

Note that there is NOTHING that will "fully regrow" all of your hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Effectiveness of Minoxidil

It takes at least four to six months to see any results with minoxidil 5% (Rogaine). Some doctors recommend giving it a full year before stopping use. However, minoxidil is a marginally effective vasodilator drug with no effect on the hormonal influence of hair loss—which is the main cause. So, while it will prevent further hair loss, the odds are not likely that it will regrow all your hair.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Minoxidil is very effective in maintaining hair.

Minoxidil is very effective for preventing further hair loss. You may notice some hair growth after 6 months to a year. Other options included PRP (protein rich plasma injections). These are effective when there is still hair or fuzz present in the balding area. Lastly, you may want to consider hair transplantation to fill in the balding area.

Regrowing hair with minoxidil 5%

We have found minoxidil to be better for keeping the hair you have from falling out rather than regrowing lost hair.  That is why many people give up on minoxidil when they "don't see anything."  Keeping hair is harder to visually appreciate than growing more hair.  Your next step is an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplant surgeon.  At your visit, you can discuss all of your medical and surgical options.  Best of luck to you.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD