Sudden Hair Loss at 20 Years Old and Receding Hairline? (photo)

Im a 20 year old male and since i was 18 ive always noticed ive had a slightly receded hairline starting to form. I figured it as normal and a "mature" hairline. However about a month ago one day I woke up, and literally clumps of my hair are falling out now and it is scaring me. I used to loose around 5-10 hairs a day... now im losing about 100 on normal days and 150 on days i wash my hair. Im scheduling an appointment with my doctor however id like to know what questions i should ask of.

Excessive hair loss

+1
In general, if an individual normally has 5-10 hairs lost per day and suddenly notices 100-150, it is abnormal. There is no better judge of what is "normal" for a given person, than the person themselves. 

Hair shedding can occur during male balding but can occur in several other conditions as well. It is a great idea for anyone with excessive hair loss to check in with their physician. 

In general, a physician who is knowledgable about the many many types of hair loss will guide the questions.  Patients should come with lists of medications, family history and previous photos if themselves ( if possible). 

It is important to share information about speed of hair loss, scalp symptoms (itch, burn pain), diet, medications, stress, family history of hair loss, medical history, allergies
Toronto Dermatologist

Sudden Hair Loss

+1

Losing 50 to 100 hairs per day is normal, and it doesn’t sound like you’re losing much more than that. However, it is smart that you’ve made a doctor appointment. Your best bet would be to see a dermatologist, and be honest about your medical history, family history, any drug use, dietary habits, etc. Though male pattern baldness is the leading cause of thinning hair in men, several other things can contribute to hair loss, like a traumatic emotional event, severe stress, alopecia areata, malnourishment, anemia, diabetes, and more. Once a diagnosis is made, a course of treatment will follow.

Web reference: http://www.dermhairclinic.com/hair-loss-info/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Losing Hair... Questions to Ask

+1

I think your best option is to see a board-certified dermatologist. This is the specialty that focuses on diseases of the skin, hair and nails. Let the dermatologist ask the questions and examine you. It is normal to lose between 100-150 hairs per day, but if there are "clumps" of hair falling out, there may be another problem to treat. The doctor will evaluate your hair loss by history and physical examination and may do some laboratory tests to come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan. Don't worry and good luck.

Web reference: http://www.dermatology-center.com