How Long Should I Keep my Legs out of the Sun After a Varicose Vein Procedure?

Protect any healing area with sunblock if it is still red.

+2

After surgery/injury the tissues are inflamed as part of the natural healing reaction. This can be a stimulus to the pigment cells in the area and the stimulus can be further increased with sun exposure. All this stimulus on the pigment cells may make the area more pigmented so we suggest using a sun block for as long as the area of healing is red. This may result ultimately in a better appearance of the healed area.

Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure after sclerotherapy is not recommended because ...

+1
As long as there is ongoing healing of sclerosed veins with bruising, discoloration, redness, it is recommended that you avoid exposure to the sun. I recommend at least three months and others (in Florida and California) recommend 2-3 weeks. Follow the instructions that is recommended by your board certified vein specialist from the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine.  

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Sun Exposure and Varicose Vein Treatment

+1

Thank you for your question. I would avoid sun exposure during laser treatment to avoid hyperpigmentation, burn etc. I would recommend using SPF 30 with zinc and reapplying every 2 hours when outdoor. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Short time.

+1

If you are having laser or radiofrequency closure  and/or microphlebectomies then you should not go into the sun until the bruising resolves which usually takes about 10 days to 2 weeks.  For sclerotherapy 48-72 hours is usually sufficient unless there is a lot of reaction to the treatment.  The bottom line is that you should avoid sun exposure until you are healed.  Also, sun,in general, is not good for veins and the sun damage can lead to further spider vein formation and to increased pigmentation.  You should always wear a sun block.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Recovery After Sclerotherapy

+1

I often recommend that patients stay out of the sun for two weeks following their sclerotherapy treatment. It's important to make sure any inflammation, bruising, and pigmentation problems have resolved before exposing yourself to the sun, as this may prolong the healing process and do additional damage. Once you are healed, I believe it's best to always wear SPF 30 when outside. Exposing your legs to the sun after treatment causes the treated veins to dilate/enlarge which will prevent their healing. Also, since sclerotherapy causes inflammation to the treated veins, sun-exposure may bring on pigmentation.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Protect Your Skin After Varicose Vein Procedure

+1

In our office, we suggest staying out of the sun for a minimum of two weeks. You want to make sure that any swelling or bruising has subsided and the skin is fully healed before exposing it to the sun.

If you are considering a varicose vein treatment, please visit the link below.

Steve Laverson, MD

Sun after Sclerotherapy Vein Treatment

+1

It's fine to be in the sun, as long as you wear a good, quality sunscreen! (Which you should be doing everyday!!!)

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Avoid sun exposure post leg vein treatment

+1

As long as you have any discoloration from any procedures, you should protect the area from the sun. This is true for any kind of injury particularly when the bruise leaves a brown "stain" (hemosiderin).  This color seems to be ironed in by sun exposure and is very resistent to any bleaching efforts.

Ann Lott, MD
Lincoln Dermatologist

How long should you stay away from the sun after varicose vein treatment

+1

You want to make sure that the bruising, swelling and inflammation have dissipated before your expose those areas to the sun. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon