When Can Normal Exercise Resume After Sclerotherapy?

When sclerotherapy of calf and thigh of both legs is needed, is the rest and recover time more than a week?

Exercise Routine After Sclerotherapy (Leg Vein) Treatment

+3

I typically recommend to my patients that they refrain from any strenuous physical activity for at least 48 hours after the treatment. However, I do advise them to do a little bit of walking after the treatment.  I also recommend frequent leg elevation and compression hose to be worn daily for at least one week after each treatment. 

Exercise after sclerotherapy.

+3

I do not restrict my patients from walking after the treatment, in fact I encourage it.  However, I do ask them to stay away from any rigorous physical activity for 24-48 hours after the procedure.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy post care

+3

I recommend that people take it easy after full sclerotherapy treatments for that day. This means no excessive workouts, no walking the dog, no vacuuming the house, etc. 24 hours post sclerotherapy I allow patients to resume any activities.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Exercising After Sclerotherapy

+3

I use Sclerotherapy for spider veins and reticular veins.  Spider veins are the small reddish or purplish veins and the reticular veins are the bluish green veins that are under the skin.  In my practice, we wrap the legs for 24 hours, then have the patient wear compression stocking for 2 weeks and minimize exertion for the first 24 hours only.  After 24 hours you can resume all activity.  

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy post-procedure exercise

+3

I usually have my patients walk for 30-45 minutes immediately after their sclerotherapy procedure (to prevent blood clots). They can resume exercise the next day. I recommend that they refrain from abdominal crunches for several days following the procedure, although this may be on the conservative side. In theory, contracting your abdominal muscles (via sit-ups, etc.) makes it harder for the blood to be pushed up your leg back to your heart. Wearing compression stockings and avoiding excess/unnecessary abdominal muscle contraction for several days following the procedure allows the walls of the treated blood vessels to stay in contact with one another (as opposed to having excess blood between/separating them), which allows the body to break down the blood vessels as intended.

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercising after sclerotherapy treatment

+2

One of the great benefits of sclerotherapy is the minimal restrictions.  The day of treatment we recommend that patients walk and stay hydrated.  Normal exercise can be resumed the next day.  If compression hose were advised, it is helpful to wear them when exercising.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Sclerotherapy

+2

You can excercise immediately after your schlerotherapy treatment for your legs. In fact, I recommend that patients walk as much as possible for 2 weeks after the treatment to allow the medication to flow through the veins. 

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimal downtime after sclerotherapy

+2

i ask my sclerotherapy patients to take it easy the rest of the day after treatment, but back to normal the following day. usually about three treatment sessions about a month apart are needed.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Normal exercise after sclerotherapy

+2

After sclerotherapy, I instruct all my patients that most normal activities can be resumed immediately. However, I do recommend refraining from vigorous activities for the first 24 hours. You should ask your injecting physician for their policy after sclerotherapy.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Activity after sclerotherapy

+1
In general, I want my patients to walk after their sclerotherapy treatment and not lie down and not remain immobile. Strenuous activity is not recommended for 72 hours and the use of compression garments is helpful for efficacy and minimizing minor complications following injection of sclerotherapy. Always check with your dermatologist on their treatment and post-treatment recommendations

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist