When Can Normal Exercise Resume After Sclerotherapy?

When sclerotherapy of calf and thigh of both legs is needed, is the rest and recover time more than a week?

Exercise after sclerotherapy.

I do not restrict my patients from walking after the treatment, in fact I encourage it.  However, I do ask them to stay away from any rigorous physical activity for 24-48 hours after the procedure.

Manhattan General Surgeon

Exercising After Sclerotherapy

I use Sclerotherapy for spider veins and reticular veins.  Spider veins are the small reddish or purplish veins and the reticular veins are the bluish green veins that are under the skin.  In my practice, we wrap the legs for 24 hours, then have the patient wear compression stocking for 2 weeks and minimize exertion for the first 24 hours only.  After 24 hours you can resume all activity.  

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercising after sclerotherapy treatment

One of the great benefits of sclerotherapy is the minimal restrictions.  The day of treatment we recommend that patients walk and stay hydrated.  Normal exercise can be resumed the next day.  If compression hose were advised, it is helpful to wear them when exercising.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Routine After Sclerotherapy (Leg Vein) Treatment

I typically recommend to my patients that they refrain from any strenuous physical activity for at least 48 hours after the treatment. However, I do advise them to do a little bit of walking after the treatment.  I also recommend frequent leg elevation and compression hose to be worn daily for at least one week after each treatment. 

Sclerotherapy post care

I recommend that people take it easy after full sclerotherapy treatments for that day. This means no excessive workouts, no walking the dog, no vacuuming the house, etc. 24 hours post sclerotherapy I allow patients to resume any activities.

Sclerotherapy post-procedure exercise

I usually have my patients walk for 30-45 minutes immediately after their sclerotherapy procedure (to prevent blood clots). They can resume exercise the next day. I recommend that they refrain from abdominal crunches for several days following the procedure, although this may be on the conservative side. In theory, contracting your abdominal muscles (via sit-ups, etc.) makes it harder for the blood to be pushed up your leg back to your heart. Wearing compression stockings and avoiding excess/unnecessary abdominal muscle contraction for several days following the procedure allows the walls of the treated blood vessels to stay in contact with one another (as opposed to having excess blood between/separating them), which allows the body to break down the blood vessels as intended.

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Normal exercise after sclerotherapy

After sclerotherapy, I instruct all my patients that most normal activities can be resumed immediately. However, I do recommend refraining from vigorous activities for the first 24 hours. You should ask your injecting physician for their policy after sclerotherapy.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise After Sclerotherapy

I tell my patients to wait 24 hours before any strenuous exercise.  I encourage normal walking immediately after a sclerotherapy treatment.  I am actually more concerned about sun exposure if my patient has any bruising or inflammation.  These areas can tan darker and this darker coloration can last a long time.

Dr Chang

John W. Chang, MD
Coral Gables General Surgeon

Easy Recovery after Schlerotherapy

The best part of doing Sclerotherapy is the quick recovery and limited restrictions!   Patients are advised to walk and resume light to  normal exercises within 24 hours.  After treatments, tape or  compression stockings can provide comfort  and minimize bruising.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Exercise after Schlerotherapy

Benefits of Sclerotherapy is the quick recovery and limited restrictions!  It is advisable  to walk the day of treatment and then esume light to normal exercises within 24 hours.