How Long After a V-Beam Treatment Can I Start Getting a Tan?

I just had purpuric V-Beam about 12 days ago. When can I start getting a getting a mild tan? I only play to stay out in the sun for 20-30 minutes at a time. I always wear spf 15 moisturizer.

....4 weeks+

+1
Im not going to lecture you on the bad bits of tanning, but to answer your question directly. Use SPF if you have had laser, your skin should return to normal within 10 days, stay out of the sun, try not to tan, but if you really have the NEED to tan, 4-6 weeks is the timeframe. 

Bear this in mind, the areas treated may tan more than non treated areas.... so be careful, if needed, apply sunscreen to the treated areas and diminish the spf slowly.

Hope that helps, regardsDr Davin Lim Consultant Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

V-Beam removes broken blood vessels and old sun damage

+1

The sun thins the skin and creates more broken blood vessels.  While you can go into the sun after a period of time from your V-Beam, why would you want to with only an SPF 15 moisturizer? You should protect your skin with atleast an SPF 30 and stay out of the sun mid day.  Remember that a tan is a sign of damage to the skin and ultimately will make you need more V-Beam treatments.

Michele S. Green, MD

Tanning and Smoking

+1

The question you ask is similar to a lung patient asking her pulmonologist when he/she can smoke.  I would not recommend tanning other than the spray on type after V-Beam.  The sun's harmful rays will cause premature aging and skin cancer.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

V-Beam and tanning

+1

First off, your going to have a hard time getting a Dermatologist to OK a tan! A tan is a sign of injury to your skin. The skin is trying to protect itself from further injury by increasing the amount of pigment (melanin).

A good question is why did you get the V-Beam treatment? We often use the V-Beam for facial telangiectasia (veins), wrinkles, or brown spots (with the V-Beam Perfecta). These conditions are all precipitated and worsened by sun exposure. Good sun protection is key to obtaining and maintaining a good result.

I recommend strict sun precautions until all purpura (bruising) and redness from your treatment has faded. This would include an SPF of at least 30, hats and other physical protectants. Patients can then switch to an SPF of at least 15 daily -- but should still be using the above measures for anything more than routine daily sun exposure.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon