How Long After Having a Tummy Tuck Can I Go Back to the Gym?

Exercise After Tummy Tuck

+2

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Best of luck.

+1
It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase your activity level. Best wishes.

How long before you can resume exercise after a Tummy Tuck?

+1
We generally recommend that you start lower body exercises after 6-8 weeks following surgery and upper body and core strength exercises after 10-12 weeks.

All through the healing process however it is important to keep mobile, to keep your blood supply going to your legs to reduce the risk of complications such as clots in your legs.

The time to get back to exercising does vary slightly however, depending on whether you had your muscles repaired. Generally if you have had your muscles repaired we would recommend that you delay your exercise by 1-2 weeks at each stage.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Return to physical activities after tummy tuck

+1

The strength of the abdominal wall is determined by the fascia, which is repaired at the time of the abdominoplasty.  The strength of your abdomen determines how soon you can go back to physical activities.  I usually use mesh to reinforce the fascia.  This allows the patients to get back to normal activities sooner.  Generally, I limit the patients to no more than 10 pounds during the 1st month and 6 to 8 weeks they are back to normal and can return to the gym.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Gym exercise after tummy tuck

+1

A typical answer for this question is no strenuous activity and no lifting more than 5-10 pounds for 6-8 weeks.  You will get different answers from different surgeons. Follow your plastic surgeon's instructions. Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Back to the gym a month after tummy tuck.

+1

While healing is not complete in four weeks following a t;ummy tuck, returning to the gym at that interval is possible if some precautions are used.  Start exercising slow and low.  Build up slowly over the next two weeks.  A good plan is to begin walking following drain removal, usually at 5-10 days post-op.  This will keep your muscles toned and ready to begin more vigorous exercise.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Return to gym after Abdominoplasty Surgery

+1

Typically, I recommend four to six weeks post-op before returning to the gym.  In theory, a stitch could open if too much stress was put on the incision site. I do recommend walking around straight away but very slow and steady pace.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Return to the Gym after a Tummy Tuck

+1

I think once your drains are out and you are off pain meds, generally around 2 weeks, you can begin light walks on a treadmill of short duration.   I do not recommend resistance activity or abdominal exercises for 6 weeks.   Bottomline, every patient heals at their own pace and your surgeon has to individualize your recovery plan based on your body type, medical history, and pain control.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

How long after a Tummy Tuck before resuming Gym Activities

+1

Every Plastic differs in his resumption of exercising.  Although all of us want our patient to resume walking the day of surgery, most would advise you do not resume serious exercising for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery. Consult with your Plastic surgeon to get his advice.