Will I Be Able to Do Ab Exercises, Etc. After Tummy Tuck Heals?

I have diastasis recti and lots of wrinkly loose skin from having 3 large babies. Before the kids I did extremely taxing ab routines of 40-60 minutes of various exercises working all the ab muscles. I also do six or more hours of cardio per week and weight train. If I get a full tummy tuck and repair the diastasis will I eventually be able to resume all of these exercises? I've heard some women are instructed never to do things like pushups etc. Will the stitching be like cheesewire on my abs?

When can I exercise after a tummy tuck?

+2

Dear Arik,

I have my patients begin light activity at 2 weeks. They are performing more strenuous activity including core exercises by 6 weeks. You will experience soreness and minor discomfort for a short period of time after you resume activities but this resolves with time. Be sure to ask specific questions about your activity level with your surgeon before and during your recovery.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/dr-gervais

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Ab workouts of after tummy tuck surgery heals

+2

The short answer is yes.  You will have to wait about 6 weeks or so for full healing.  I would also encourage you to start out slow and ramp up the intensity of your workouts.  You should also know that it will take a while for you to feel like you're 100% back to normal during your workouts.  How long this feeling will take varies, but it is not uncommon to feel some soreness and discomfort after your workouts many months and maybe up to a year after your tummy tuck.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com

Yes you can exercise after healing from tummy tuck.

+1

Yes, with normal healing you should be able to resume all activity at 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Discuss specific instruction with the board-certified plastic surgeon you choose to do you surgery. Good Luck!

Abs and abdominoplasty

+1

At my plastic surgery practice I tell my abdominoplasty patients it's ok to hit the gym at 6 weeks. For dedicated ab exercises and intense core training like pilates I ask them to wait until 8 weeks. By then your muscles should be healed enough to tolerate pretty vigorous activity. Remember that exercising is something that you should ease into, and I find that many patients don't realize they overdid it until the next few days after so take it easy and start slow. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Ab exercises after abdominoplasty

+1

I would recommend waiting 8 weeks prior to doing any ab exercises or core exercise.  Lower extremity  workouts  and upper body exercises can be started sooner as long as you don't use your abs.  Once everything has healed,  ie. after 8 weeks, I would just do what feels comfortable.  If it hurts , don't do it.  Eventually you will be able to do your regular workout without risk of doing any damage to your abdominal repair.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

+1

After you receive Tummy Tuck surgery and diastasis recti repair, you will eventually be able to return to full and unrestricted physical activity.  Many surgeons ask patients to wait at least 6 weeks before returning to vigorous exercise.  This time period allows your body to heal enough so that the scar tissue and wounds will reach their maximum post operative strength.  Since the Tummy Tuck procedure does not injure your muscles, there is no reason that your muscles won't function after surgery.  After you have surgery and are cleared for vigorous activity by your surgeon, I would start slow and not overdo it at first.  Your body will very quickly tell you if you are "doing too much."  After the tissue on your abdominal wall has healed, it is unlikely that you will cheesewire through your abdominal wall.  I hope this helps.

My patients can resume graded abdominal work 6 weeks after abdominoplasty but really don't need to.

+1

All the set-ups in the world won't rehab an abdomen that requires an abdominoplasty for aesthetic correction.  Once all the post pregnancy damage has been fixed, there's no reason to do ab work unless you enjoy it.  The results will leave you flat for life unless you get pregnant again or have major weight gain.