How Long After Getting Breast Implants Will Tightness Go Away?

I had my breast augmentation on March 23rd, 2012 and its been 5 days Post-op today and I was wondering how long it takes the tightness on my chest to go away?

Breast tightness will resolve over weeks to months

+3

I always instruct my patients that in the early stages following breast augmentation, their breast implants can be expected to appear high, tight, and somewhat unnatural.  This is NORMAL.  Your tissues are now stretched out to accommodate additional volume (breast implants).  Tissues also swell and retain fluid following surgery.  Over the course of weeks to months, your tissues will become less swollen, and will soften and stretch to accommodate the volume of your implants.  This allows the implants to settle into a more natural position, and look and move more naturally.  You will see significant changes in the first 3-4 weeks, and your tissues will continue to soften visibly in the first 2-3 months.  Make sure to follow all of your Plastic Surgeon's instructions regarding bra wear, implant massage, and activity restrictions.

Dr. Skourtis

About three to four months

+1
Tightness is common after breast augmentation. It will take about three to four months for your body to adjust to the implants, and natural tissue expansion will gradually occur so that your breasts settle into a more natural contour.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Time is the Best Medicine

+1

About 6-12 weeks is the typical time it takes for implants to stretch and settle within the pocket created by the surgeon and your anatomy.  It can take longer if they are larger implants and if there has been no previous stretch from pregnancies or weight changes. 

Tripti Burt, MD

Give it time to stretch

+1

As others have said, it will take time. Most everyone will experience tightness in the beginning. The less breast tissue that you have to start, the tighter it will be and longer it takes to settle and stretch. A larger implant placed will also require a longer time for things to settle. If they are below the muscle, this anatomy needs to give as well. Regardless of all these factors, be reassured, it will always get better with time.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Chest wall tightness with implants

+1

I assume you mean skin tightness.  If this is the case, then you will have to expect tit may take several weeks to months for the tissues to become soft from the procedure.

Chest tightness after a breast augmentation generally lasts 2 months...

+1

Generally speaking patients experience tightness after a breast augmentation until the chest wall muscles have had time to lengthen. This period of time is approximately 2 months. Patient perception of tightness however is variable and really depends on the position and size of the implants. You should discuss this with your surgeon.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Chest tightness after breast augmentation

+1
The tightness resulting from augmentation typically takes about a month to resolve and should improve gradually. The speed with which it will resolve is related to implant size, the laxity of your breast tissue and implant placement. Be patient and keep seeing your plastic surgeon in followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breasts Augmentation " Tightness”?

+1

“Tightness” of the breasts after breast augmentation generally lasts several weeks to one month after surgery. I find that the breasts soften significantly on a weekly basis  after breast augmentation surgery.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are progressing as expected.

Best wishes

Postoperative tightness will resolve

+1
The chest tightness following breast augmentation usually resolves over a few weeks. This will depend on how large the implants are that were placed, if they were placed in front or behind the muscle and the amount and laxity of your breast tissue.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon