How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Wear a Push-up Bra?

Almost 6 weeks ago I had breast augementation. 400cc textured, round, mentor silicone implants (high profile) were placed under the muscle. I naturally have wide breasts. When can I safely wear a push up bra to enhance cleavage? I understand that I would not wear it all the time. Does my picture look as though they are abnormally far apart?

WHEN can begin to wear Push-Up Bra after Breast Augmentation

+3

As with everything involving Medicine and Surgery, what we do involves some factual science and a lot of habit ("I always ...") as well as unsubstantiated opinion. While some surgeons are more questioning and introspective than others- all surgeons, by their very nature, are opinionated (Best demonstrated by the surgical adage that they may be wrong but rarely in doubt).

Push up bras place a higher pressure along the inferior border of the breast and raise the implants bringing about a higher and central position which is the opposite direction of gravity. In certain cases of Breast REDUCTION (those using an inferior blood supply (IE Pedicle) such pressure may compromise the blood supply to the nipple. In Breast Augmentation this is NOT a consideration. However, when looking at the breasts, we want to make sure that the lower pole of the breast is rounded and that the implants are located directly behind the nipples - NOT higher. Putting the patient in such a bra will stop the maturation of the surgical result and may keep the breasts implants abnormally high by allowing scarring in the lower pocket.

There is nothing magical about WHEN (4, 6, 8 or whatever weeks after surgery) a push up bra can be worn. That is the fetish / habit part of surgical thinking I was referring to. More importantly is to look at the breasts and ask yourself - have you achieved THE LOOK you desired?

When looking at your breasts, you have a straight line from the nipples to the breast hold and increased upper pole fullness. The breasts would look a LOT nicer if you allowed the implants to stretch the lower poles a bit more and get that attractive curve BEFORE splinting it all with a push up bra.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

At Least Two Months After Breast Augmentation For Pushup Bra

+1
I recommend waiting until about 2 months after your surgery to start wearing underwire bras and pushup bras, however three to four months would be better. Underwire bras in particular can cause unnecessary complications. These complications include irritation caused by the wire rubbing against the skin (something that you may not notice due to possible numbness). Patients who have an infra-mammary incision should be especially careful as an underwire bra is capable of displacing the implants if it is worn too often or too soon. The underwire is often improperly shaped and provides inadequate support of the breast shortly after surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Push up bras after breast augmentation

+1
At six weeks I typically allow my patients to wear any bra they like. Check with your surgeon to be sure, as we all have slightly different preferences in this department. As for the width of your breasts - this is mostly determined by your underlying chest wall anatomy - the push up bra should give you the cleavage you desire.

Grant Stevens, MD

Wait At Least 6 Weeks Before Wearing Push Up Bras Following Breast Augmentation

+1
Typically, a pushup bra will be an underwire bra.If an underwire is used before six weeks it is possible to either leave a lasting imprint in the crease of the breast or actually change the location of the intended crease of the breast.For this reason, it is best not to wear this type of bra for up to six weeks following your augmentation.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Push up bras

+1

I personally think bras are overrated.  But most women disagree.  Given that your implants are still somewhat high, I would hold off on wearing a push up bra until your implants drop some more and stretch out the lower pole of the breasts.  Hard to know the exact timeline but I would re-evaluate after another 4 weeks.  Best of luck!

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Pushup Bra after Breast Augmentation

+1

I do not recommend pushup or wired bras for 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  I do not want the bra to irritate the scar and I want the implant to drop into position.   I worry that a bra pushing up on the implant may cause the implant to not migrate downwards leading to a malposition problem.   I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Push-Up Bra Post Breast Augmentation

+1

I typically recommend to my patients that they don't wear an underwire or push-up bra for 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  After your surgery, the implant needs ample time to settle into place and for the tissue to heal. There is a tendency for the implants to move up if too much lift is created by the garment you are wearing during the early weeks after surgery. You don't want anything to interfere with the normal healing  process or to cause the implant position to be too high. I would advise you to follow the advice of your surgeon, since many surgeons have differing opinions on this matter.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Avoid Push-Up Bras for 6-8 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

+1

We generally avoid using push-up bras for six to eight weeks following breast augmentation.  There are two reasons for this approach.  First, when patients undergo sub muscular placement of breast implants, the pectoral major muscle may undergo spasm in the early post-operative period.  This may force the implant in an upward direction and lead to malposition.  When this situation arises we utilize compression to force the implant in a downward direction.  A push up bra would have the opposite effect.
Another reason for avoiding push-up bras in the immediate post-operative period is the potential for the bra to irritate a fresh surgical incision.  An infamammary incision would be directly beneath the push-up bra this might lead to irritation of the incision.
After six to eight weeks wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue.  In most breast augmentation patients, it is reasonable to resume the use of push-up bras at this time.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Push-Up Bra Post Breast Aug

+1

I would advise you to follow the advice of your surgeon.  With that said, I typically recommend to my patients that they may wear a push-up bra at 2 months post procedure.  After your surgery, the breast needs ample time to settle into place.  We don't want anything to interfere with that process.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Use of underwire bra after breast implant augmentaiton surgery

+1

From this view, it is difficult to recommend an underwire bra until your implants have fully settled. Discuss your desires with your plastic surgeon. I typically wait until 3 months after surgery.