How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Wear a Push-up Bra?

Almost 6 weeks ago I had breast augementation. 400cc textured, round, mentor silicone implants (high profile) were placed under the muscle. I naturally have wide breasts. When can I safely wear a push up bra to enhance cleavage? I understand that I would not wear it all the time. Does my picture look as though they are abnormally far apart?

At Least Two Months After Breast Augmentation For Pushup Bra

I recommend waiting until about 2 months after your surgery to start wearing underwire bras and pushup bras, however three to four months would be better. Underwire bras in particular can cause unnecessary complications like irritation and displacement.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

When can I wear a push up bra after breast augmentation?

In general, I recommend new bra shopping (and unlimited bra style) after 6-8 weeks. This usually allows the implants to settle enough and swelling to resolve in order to allow accurate sizing for new bras. At this time, you are free to wear any type of bra you like. Recommendations vary by surgeon so I recommend checking with yours.

Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

4850 West Panther Creek Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77381

I recommend waiting 2-3 months after breast augmentation to wear a push up bra. This allows plenty of time for the implants to settle and helps to prevent distortion of the implant cavity as it heals. 

Aisha McKnight Baron, MD

3450 Acworth Due West Road
Kennesaw, GA 30144

Follow your surgeon’s recommendation

Like many post-op instructions following breast augmentation, different surgeons have different opinions about how long exactly is the best time to wait until wearing a push-up bra after getting breast implants. Most will advise waiting between a month and 6 weeks before wearing any underwire bra, and others advise waiting a couple months or more. The reasons for this include the extra pressure an underwire bra puts on or very near to the incision (when placed in the inframammary fold), as well as encouraging the implants upward when they’re still in the process of settling. Best to check with your surgeon and follow his or her specific recommendations.

Nirav Savalia, MD

180 Newport Center Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Underwire bra and the inter-mammary gap

I usually have patients wait 6 weeks to wear a push up bra with underwire.  Your breasts will likely still change but look reasonable without being able to see your preop pictures.  There may be some angulation or sloping of your chest so that if  the "hills" the "houses" are built on are angled, it may give the illusion of space between the "houses" or breasts.  A bra can improve that.  Good luck! 

Matthew H. Conrad, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

1700 Waterfront Pkwy
Wichita, KS 67206

Push Up Bra After Surgery

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Wait a month for a bra

I prefer that the patients not wear a bra for a month after surgery.  This allows the implants to settle. If you do put on a bra at 6 weeks and it hurts, it is too tight and you must wait until you no longer have pain to wear that bra.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

Push up bras after breast augmentation

At six weeks I typically allow my patients to wear any bra they like. Check with your surgeon to be sure, as we all have slightly different preferences in this department. As for the width of your breasts - this is mostly determined by your underlying chest wall anatomy - the push up bra should give you the cleavage you desire.

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Wait At Least 6 Weeks Before Wearing Push Up Bras Following Breast Augmentation

Typically, a pushup bra will be an underwire bra.If an underwire is used before six weeks it is possible to either leave a lasting imprint in the crease of the breast or actually change the location of the intended crease of the breast.For this reason, it is best not to wear this type of bra for up to six weeks following your augmentation.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Push up bras

I personally think bras are overrated.  But most women disagree.  Given that your implants are still somewhat high, I would hold off on wearing a push up bra until your implants drop some more and stretch out the lower pole of the breasts.  Hard to know the exact timeline but I would re-evaluate after another 4 weeks.  Best of luck!

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS

332 Washington St
Wellesley Hills, MA 02481