Sinus Infection Before Breast Augmentation and Liposuction

I had to go to a doctor today and was prescribed amoxicillin and allegra-D for my sinuses. Today is Monday, April 12th and my surgery is scheduled on April 21st. Will I be able to have the surgery? I don't feel that bad, but know it's more about the medications than how I feel.

Infection and Breast Augmentation

+2

A major weakness of all implants (IE Breast, hip/knee joints, pacemakers, valves etc) is that they are not a living organ with its own blood vessels. As such, they are not able to repel and fight off any bacterial contamination or infection. ANY infection elsewhere in the body or any time bacteria reach the blood stream (such as teeth cleaning, gum surgery, urinary tract infection), the bacteria can SEED and attach themselves to the surface of an implant where the body is unable to get rid of them.

While some colonization with bacteria may be harmless, in many cases it may result in scarring (IE Capsular Contracture) around the implant or an invasive infection which may require implant removal to successfully eradicate the infection.

With this in mind, WHY would you want to risk such complications when you have a sinus infection? I would recommend completely resolving the sinus infection before having your breast augmentation. It is the prudent thing to do.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Be Healthy before any elective cosmetic plastic surgery

+1

Be well BEFORE your surgery !

Cosmetic Plastic Surgery are elective procedures, where all efforts should be taken to avoid complication. Active infection prior to an elective plastic surgical procedure is usually a good reason to delay your cosmetic enhancement to minimize the risk of a complication.  Breast implants, being a foreign body, are susceptible to infectious processes and even greater care to clear pre-operative sources of infection must be taken. A visit with your surgeon prior to the procedure to discuss postponing plastic surgery until a patient has recovered from a pre-operative infection is necessary

Always seek a live  consultation of board certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic plastic surgery before embarking on any course of action

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Sinus infection prior to Aesthetic Surgery

+1

Hi there-

I agree with my colleagues... Aesthetic Surgery, because it is elective by definition, should (in my opinion) never be performed under conditions that would improve with treatment of an existing condition.

In other words, I always want my patients to be as healthy as they can get before proceeding, and this is especially true any time I am going to be placing an implant.

Be sure you are at your best at the time of surgery- your risks will be lower and your chances of having a smooth recovery and great outcome higher.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Any infection must be treated before elective surgery

+1

Any infection in the body may potentially cause "leaking" of bacteria into the blood stream. You may not feel sick, but even a small amount of bacteria may attach to the breast implant or any part of the body which is traumatized from surgery and cause an infection. Believe me, an infected breast implant is not fun and the deformity caused by the infection may not be correctable.

My advise is to make sure there is NO infection in the sinus before surgery. Usually that is done symptomatically and by CT scan of the sinuses.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Sinus infection and implants

+1

If you have a sinus infection that has not improved prior to surgery, then you are better off postponing the surgery until you have healed.  Better to wait.

Best to wait

+1

There seems there might be enough time to treat your sinus infection but sometime it may take up to 3 weeks to effectively treat your sinusitis.  You are investing a lot of time and money for your aesthetic surgery.  It is best to make sure that you have completely treated so that can set the best stage for an optimal outcome of your aesthetic surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Postpone breast aug and lipo for sinus infections

+1

Among the worst problems you can get into with these two surgeries is infection whose risk is much higher if you have any other incompletely treated infections at the time of surgery.

Infected breast implants need to be removed and replaced months later and infected liposuctions can cause tissue death and severe scar tissue. Neither are worth the increased risk just because of the inconvenience of rescheduling the surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Why chance breast augmentation when unwell

+1

If you suffer from a cold or flu, or have a sinus or urinary tract infection, why take a chance with your breast augmentation? It seems much better to wait the week or two until you are in good health. The risk may be small but why take it. Your procedure and recovery should be better as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Postpone breast implant surgery for sinus infection

+1

Any active infection may place you at greater risk for problems with implant surgery. While you may be ok given the time frame, it is definitely something to discuss with your plastic surgeon. The inconvenience of having to postpone the surgery may save major problems down the road.

Richard Baxter, MD

Infection and breast implants

+1

This is clearly a matter of opinion, but it is generally my advice to defer surgery in any cases of active bacterial infection.  Generally, this would consist of 10 days of antibiotics followed by another 7-10 days of no symptoms.