Bruising, Numbness After Breast Augmentation

I recently got a breast augmentation, its been 9 days. My left implant has fallen into place I believe, and my right one is still very swollen and sore. I also have what I believe to be a hematoma on my right breast, almost on my ribs. The right side is swollen to my collar bone, and down my arm. I have a huge bruise to my right elbow from armpit, and the underneath of my arm has a numb feeling? Is this normal? Will the right breast be normal?

See your surgeon

While numbness, swelling and some bruising is common after surgery, your photos appear that you may have developed a hematoma. Please see your surgeon as soon as you can for a physical examination to resolve this. Best of luck.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Contact your surgeon if any concerns after breast augmentation

Although breasts swell and heal differently, you should contact and be seen by your surgeon right away.  Having a bruise as you describe is outside of the ordinary and you may need to have a blood collection evacuated. If you do have a hematoma, allowing it to absorb on its own could lead doen the path of hardness and capsule.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

4625 Quigg Dr
Santa Rosa, CA 95409

Hematoma Suspected--seek attention ASAP

It’s normal for patients to have bruising, swelling, numbness and mild asymmetry following breast augmentation. Unfortunately, your pictures strongly suggest the presence of a right breast hematoma. When this situation arises, surgical intervention is usually always indicated to avoid long term complications.
When blood is left within the implant pocket following post-operative bleeding, the wound healing process can be adversely affected. Under these circumstances, undrained hematomas can result in pain, breast distortion, capsular contracture, implant displacement and infections. For these reasons, hematomas should be drained as soon as possible when they occur after breast augmentation surgery.
If you’ve developed a hematoma following breast augmentation surgery, it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Breast implant augmentation surgery and hematoma

From the appearance of your picture, it appears as if you will benefit from exploration and evacuation of the hematoma but other surgeons may be willing to treat this less aggressively with observation.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

You need to see your doctor

Based on the pictures,you have hematoma over the right breast. You need to see your doctor to evaluate you and treat you ASAP. If the hematoma is not drained, you will get capsular contracture . The other risk is infection .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Right Breast Hematoma - requires re-operation

You need to contact your surgeon immediately. You have a definite very large blood collection / hematoma of the right breast which requires urgent evacuation. i would contact your surgeon ASAP and make sure you have not eaten or drank anything until he/she tells you it's OK to do so. We cannot operate safely when there is food or drink in the stomach. Eating or drinking will needlessly delay your operation.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Hematoma after breast augmentation needs urgent drainage.

See your plastic surgeon right away. It looks like you have a large hematoma in your right breast after breast implants. I think from your picture that you need an operation to remove the hematoma as soon as possible.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075