What is the Best Kind of Liposuction for Thighs? (photo)

I'm 32 years old, 5'3" and 125 lbs. Also, 3 months post op from a tummy tuck with PAL lipo of my flanks and doing great! I am eating right and exercising but I have some stubborn fat in my thighs. I'm considering having liposuction on my thighs within the next year, if I'm unable to tone them up more on my own. There are so many different kinds of liposuction, it's a bit overwhelming. My skin tone is okay but not great, a little flabby. What do you think is the best kind of lipo for my thighs?

Type of lipo

+2

Congratulations on your great results with your previous surgery.  As for the type of lipo - you'll be surprised to learn that all the methods work about the same.  It's mostly marketing spin.  Much more important is the skill of the surgeon - so find a well-qualified plastic surgeon that does lots of liposuction and that gets results that you like.

Medial Thigh Liposuction

+2

A physical exam will be necessary to properly evaluate the turgidity and elasticity of the areas of interest.  Liposuction of the thighs in your case should be conservative as you already have a good shape.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction for thighs

+2

Of course, the most important aspect is that you work with an experienced liposuction surgeon.

As far as what is the best type of liposuction, I prefer traditional tumescent liposuction with small cannulas for the thighs (inner and outer). It is great to perform the procedure under conscious sedation, so that the patient is awake. That way, you can have the patient stand up and look at the area to be sure that the thighs are smooth and symetrical. You might also want to look into the option of non-invasive body contouring, such as liposonix. Your thighs look pretty thin from the photo, so this might be an option for you.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

The easiest question to answer- what kind of lipo to have

+2

Unquestionably, the best kind of liposuction to have is the kind done by a proficient, safe surgeon who knows what he or she is doing.  

I feel for patients who are bombarded by so much marketing that it becomes confusing.  Each surgeon will likely recommend the type of machine that he or she has because it helps them stand apart from their peers.  At the end of the day, what is most important is how that surgeon uses the tools that he or she has and the results that are obtained.  

I have seen brilliant surgeons do amazing things with the simplest liposuction machines, and I've seen very poor results from very busy surgeons who tout various laser, water jet, ultrasound, and such lipo variations.  Find a doctor with whom you are comfortable, check credentials and training (ensure board certification in you plastic surgeon), ask for before and after photos, and make certain that the surgery is to be done in a certified surgery center where you will be safe and comfortable.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Thigh liposuction is usually done best under tumescent local anesthesia with the micro canulas.

+2

Thigh liposuction as with almost any other liposuction area of the body should always be done with the micro canulas under local tumescent technique for best results. It is easy, comfortable and quick recovery. The smaller the canula, the smoother the results and being awake and able to turn and stand up during the procedure really helps the doc give you as smooth and symmetrical results as possible. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser NIL liposuction

+2

Your tummy looks great, congrats. I would recommend looking into NIL laser liposuction. I have performed Lipo using all different techniques and I think NIL using small cannulas is the best way to go. The thighs require very careful technique with a significant attention given to detail. I think awake Lipo is also best, especially in this area. This is because your thighs can be seen and treated in your normal state.  You can move around under the surgeon's guidance and allow for a better real time evaluation and reshaping. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Best liposuction technique ?

+2
Look for an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  It's not what machine he/she uses, it's how experienced the surgeon is.  Liposuction is all about experience.  Lipo machine manufacturers would like you to think their machine is the best and it's the machine that gives you great results.  Fact is, no machine is superior and even the best machine in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon will not give you good results

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Type of liposuction for thighs

+2

Thank you for your question about thigh liposuction

• PAL liposuction is pulsatile assisted liposuction, usually with the microaire equipment. It is the best liposuction for most people,
  • Liposuction is confusing because of the many names given to ultrasonic and laser machines. Ignore their marketing claims. They are unnecessary for almost all liposuction and make it longer and more expensive.
  • I suggest dance, weight lifting or other thigh exercises to tone up first.
  • Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Type of liposuction for thighs

+2

As you indicated there are a number of options for types of liposuction.  One is not necessarily better than an other.  For previously untreated areas that are not scarred or fibrous (like male gynecomastia) any technique can do a fine job.  The results will depend more on the operator and their ability and experience.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

What is the best type of liposuction??????????????????????

+2

Thanks for your great post.  First off, you look great, your surgeon did a wonderful job with the tummy tuck and the liposuction and your body did a great job with the healing of the incisions. 

In terms of what type of liposuction to use results are largely the result of the person who is utilizing the cannula.  There is a lot of hype of the different technologies involved such as Ultrasonic (Vaser and Liposonix), Laser (Slim Lipo), Water Assisted, and power assisted.  At the end of the day, it all involves removing fat through small incisions that are placed in remote, easy to conceal locations.

The most important thing to realize is that when you say  "thigh," you are probably referring to your whole upper leg from your hip to your knee.  As a plastic surgeon I break up the thigh in the following fashion:

1.  Lateral thigh (saddlebag)

2.  Medial thigh (upper portion of thigh adjacent to the groin)

3.  Knee (medial knee)

4.  Anterior thigh

The first three areas tend to accept liposuction well with the key aspect of not overresecting and causing skin dimpling or unnatural attachments between the skin and underlying muscle fascia.

The anterior thigh is a difficult area to suction well because the fatty layer is very fibrous and will show dents and dings very readily.  the anterior thigh is what many women complain about if they have cellulite.  Debulking this area with liposuction can actually worsen the appearance of the cellulite.  There are currently two devices on the market that go after cellulite, the Cellulaze and then a device from VASER that attacks the fibrous septae with ultrasonic energy.  I know that the cellulaze is undergoing an approval process by the fda, I am unsure of the status of the device from VASER.

Getting back to your original question, the information that I would need to know are 1.  What parts of your thigh are bothering you.  2.  Is cellulite a problem for you.

Your next step is to go in for a formal consultation.

Thanks again for asking such a commonly occuring question that needs explanation.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon