Is There a Minimum Weight for Liposuction

I want to lipo the stubborn areas on my legs (saddlebags, knees, area just above knee or lower quad area) that I can't seem to get rid of through exercise. I'm 5'3" and typically weigh 113-115 lbs. I haven't had a consult yet, but I was worried that the surgeon would say that I wasn't a good candidate for lipo so I allowed myself to put on some weight. I now weigh 119 lbs. My question is, can a person of my weight have lipo? And should I go back to 115 lbs or put on more weight? Thanks!

You are an excellent candidate for liposuction

+2

You are an excellent candidate for liposuction, having localized fat deposits that are resistant to weight loss. You photos illustrate good skin tone with localized deposits such as in your outer and inner thighs and knees. Tumescent liposuction performed by a board certified plastic surgeon should help you obtain a desired improvement.

Liposuction of your thighs and knees will make a big difference.

+2

Liposuction will make a big difference for your thighs and knees and can be done easily and safely under local anesthesia and back to work in 2 days.  Gaining weight before the surgery doesn't help with liposuction at all. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't put on weight to try to "qualify" for liposuction!

+2

The best candidates for liposuction are patients who are at or near ideal body weight who have localized fat deposits in areas of good skin tone, good muscle tone, and that do not respond to diet and exercise. If a patient is somewhat overweight but stable at this weight, then this too is an appropriate time to consider liposuction to help contour "trouble areas."

Get to your "normal" weight--not artificially fatter, or artificially thinner, just at a healthy weight you can maintain after surgery. See an American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon who does lots of liposuction. Don't fall for advertising about "laser liposuction (SmartLipo)," "Lipodissolve," or Mesotherapy. The latter two use non-FDA-approved injectable materials designed to kill fat cells, though the marketing usually calls this "dissolving" or "harmlessly melting away" the fat. Killing the tissue and hoping to avoid a hard, calcified lump beneath the skin is what really happens, and some patients are permanently disfigured by some unscrupulous doctors performing these procedures. Of course, these injections are designed to play on the concerns and anxieties about surgical liposuction.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lipodystrophy Cannot be Removed by Dieting. Liposuction is a 100% Cure.

+2

Your weight is just fine.  You have a lipodystrophy and that cannot be removed by dieting or exercise.  A lipodystrophy is a true congenital deformity of normal fat in an abnormal amount.  Think of it the same as A Large Bone Hump on a NOSE.   The dystrophies vary from person to person and female to male.  I have a serier of 11 mamathon runners that have been my liposuction patients.  I have a series of 7 patients who were absolute anorexics and became anorexic trying to lose a lipodystrophic fat  area.  Guess what?  After liposuction of the dystrophic fat  thighs  or love handles or male breasts the anorexia diappeared.  Obviously this is not the case with anorexic without a dystrophy of fat but it sure works for some.   Once the lipodystrophic fat is removed it is gone forever.  Can you still gain weight if you consume too many calories?  Of Course.    But the lipodystrophic abnormality is gone forever regardless of you weight.   An idea candidate for liposuction is a person at their correct weight and who has just the lipodystrophic areas remaining.   Overweight patients can benefit from liposuction if they are not more than 50 lbs over their chart weight.   The ideal dream candidate is a person who has the correct weight and just a lipodystrophy remains.  We can cure that forever.   My Best,   Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+1
No, there is no minimal weight necessary to undergo liposuction surgery.  Generally speaking, the ideal patient for liposuction surgery is one who has achieved a long-term stable weight and presents with diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue of  specific areas, with good quality overlying skin elasticity. When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can provide you with good, specific, and ethical advice. Best wishes.

+1

I think a person can have liposuction at your weight and I do think that liposuction of the saddlebags, and inner knees can give a good result but the liposuction of the distal thigh can at times leave loose skin that is impossible to improve.

Julio Garcia, MD

Yes please reduce your weight and then have liposuction

+1

From your history and photograph it appears that you are near your ideal body weight but there is an abundance of fat of the lower abdomen, lovehandles, outer and inner thighs.  One is always better off to reduce their weight and undergo surgery at their ideal body weight.  There are less complications when patients underoing surgery are in better health. You would be an ideal candidate if you lost more weight with diet and exercise so that you can get into that regimen and keep the weight off before having liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Dont gain more weight!  There is no "minimum weight" for liposuction; only good and poor candidates!  You are a good candidate!  Go for it!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

From your so kindly posted photo you are a good candidate for any type of liposuction. I would recommend Smart Lipo Triplex + liposuction. From MIAMI 

There are no weight criteria for liposuction

+1
You do not need to be heavy to qualify for liposuction.  Liposuction is sculpting procedure to remove particular pockets of fat, to sculpt a particular area.  That is exactly what you want.  Consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your concerns and wishes with him/her.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD