After Lipo, is It Normal to Have Hardening of the Tissues That Are Painful when I Move?

I am now three weeks out from my tt and lipo of my flanks, hips, abdomen, and inner thighs. I now have harden tissue under these sites and they are painful when I try to move, especially if I have been sitting for awhile. It is like scar tissue forming and tacking itself down to the muscle. I was told to massage these areas but I don't know how hard or how often I should do it and if this will resolve itself over time. It is creating a concave appearance on my inner thighs. HELP PLEASE!

Hardened tissue after liposuction

+3

The inner thigh is a sensitive area with thin skin and requires care to avoid any dents or irregular contours. Firm or hardened tissue can appear in areas where the fat is firm and fibrous such as the back or flank, or areas suctioned for a second time. We can't tell what is causing the swelling or lump in your inner thigh, though your surgeon should have another look.

peterejohnsonmd

Is it normal to have hard areas in the areas liposuctioned?

+3

It is not unusual to get some firmness in areas liposuctioned. This happens in more fibrous areas ususally, the back or periumbilical area. If an area is overliposuctioned or a vessel is injured, you can develop very hard areas which will leave premanent irregularities. The photo you show of your medial thigh shows an oversuctioned area with a lump above it. Although, this will get better with time, ther's a good possibility of you needing some corrective surgery. Regarding massage, you would benefit from lymphatic massage to improve these areas. Your plastic surgeon should be able to refer you to a certified lymphatic massage therapist to imrove your results. Be patient and good luck. 

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Lumps and Hardness at 3 Weeks

+2

Hi whitewolf3253 in Jasper, TX,

It's actually pretty common to have areas of lumpiness and hardness at this early stage.  They will probably settle down on their own - but there's no need to wait.  I would advise some massage (there are many different forms of this) to help break up or loosen some of the backed-up fluid (which is what's causing the lumps). 

And you should, of course, be speaking to your plastic surgeon about this.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Please try Endermologie or lymphatic massage

+2

You need to see your Plastic surgeon for evaluation and follow up. You will benefit from Endermologie or lymphatic drainage massage.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and indentation

+1

You are describing possible over resection of fat in one area. The loss of fat in this area may allow for fibrosis, or collagen, to pull the skin down.  You should see your surgeon to evaluate your condition especially because of the pain you're having. Some times fat injections are done successfully to improve this contour depression.

Ronald Shelton, MD