Neck Seems More Swollen a Month After Liposuction. Is This Normal?

I am 24 years old. female. I had neck/chin liposuction as well as a chin implant on March 2nd. After 2 weeks my neck and chin looked PERFECT. However I am now 1 month post op and my chin and neck area seems softer (before it was nice and tight) and more swollen than at 2 weeks. Is this normal and will the skin tighten up again. thanks!

Swelling after liposuction of the neck

+1

Neck liposuction may cause intermittent swelling, some days more than others, but overall, there is a tendency for decreased swelling and retraction of the skin upwards over four to twelve weeks, or more. If the chin area is becoming increasingly tender, or if there is redness or warmth or excessive firmness in the skin overlying the implant, then you should see your surgeon to ensure that there is no infection around the implant.

Persistent Neck Swelling After Liposuction is Temporary Lymphedema

+1

What you are likely experiencing is the phenomenon of lymphedema, a common issue after liposuction. As liposuction temporarily disrupts lymphatic channels, chronic swelling can occur which feels also firm or hard. This is of a particular aesthetic nuisance in the neck. I tell patients after neck liposuction that it may take 6 weeks or longer for this to go away and resolve itself. It is always frustrating for the patient in that it initially looked so good and now is almost bigger. I would check with your plastic surgeon and make sure this may not be an infection given that you had a chin implan also. With that excluded, lymphedema is the culprit and it is just a function of time before it resolves itself. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction of Chin and Neck, Chin Implant - Swelling at 2 Wks, 4 Wks

+1

Hi hersheykissy in houston tx,

It is common for swelling to go up and down during the recovery period.  HOWEVER, what makes this a little different is that you have a chin implant, and you have to make sure you're not having a problem with that.  Have you had any fever, chills, sweats, redness, etc?  In any case, you should touch base with your PS just to make sure everything's okay.

In general, it can take a long time to see the final results of liposuction.  I generally tell my patients that it's 4-6 weeks for 85%, 3 months for 95% and 6 months for all.  And it is sometimes a bit like 2 steps forward, 1 step back.  So it's a somewhat complex process that tends to settle down on its own eventually.

That being said, just contact your PS to be sure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS