Is Liposuction Above Jaw Line a Bad Decision?

Buccal fat removal isn't for me and my chin area is not bad. The areas that really bother me is the area right above my jaw line and under the apples of my cheeks. My upper cheeks are full and jaw line is reasonably defined. Can smart lipo fix the lower cheeks? Traditional liposuction? Is this a dangerous procedure in terms of appearance and abnormalities? Where would the incisions be?

Liposuction above the jawline is almost always a bad idea.

+2

Facial aging is distinguished in part by loss of subcutaneous fat.  Few patients who develop jowls do so because of the growth of fat.  The fat should be repostioned, not removed.

Yes, liposuction above the jawline is not usually wise.

+2

Liposuction will remove fat that you will need later in life as you age. Also you can have irregularities as well.

Liposuction above jawline

+2

Liposuction of the face is usually limited to the neck. Most doctors frown upon liposuction of the face to avoid a prematurely aged look from hollowness.

Facial liposuction

+1

Liposuction above the jaw line can be accomplished if completed with attention to small cannulae ("microcannulae") as well as low vacuum suction.

Liposuction of Jawline

+1

I would recommend liposuction of your jowls using a handheld syringe and cannula.   The biggest risk with this procedure is injury to the facial nerve branches.   Use of a blunt cannula and syringe suction minimizes this risk.   I would not recommend more aggressive forms of suction.

Incision placement is typically behind each earlobe and in the crease where the chin meets the neck.  All incisions are the width of a pencil.  

The most important aspect of neck or jowl liposuction is compression garment therapy to minimize postop swelling and edema.   I recommend garment use for 7 days continously and 2 weeks of nights and weekends.

I wish you a safe and happy result.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Liposuction not recommended for facial contouring

+1

Generally liposuction is not recommended for facial contouring. It would require great care to be done properly. I would consult a surgeon to determine if you are an appropriate candidate and placement of incisions.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Smart Lipo of the jowls and cheeks

+1

I have found Smart Lipo of the jowls and cheeks to be very effective.  It must be done at low power and very carefully, but excellent results can be attained.  The incisions are tiny and can be made anywhere, but I choose to put them under the chin and at the junction of the earlobe and cheek.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Liposuction of the face

+1

I perform liposuction of the face quite often. I make the incision inside the nose. I do not use SlimLipo or Smart Lipo there because these may cause injury to the facial nerves. Swelling there may be longer than usual but it looks like the patient has the mumps,especially since the cut is not visible.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facial Liposuction

+1

While you can perform liposuction of the face and along the jaw, it is often not a good idea as an isolated procedure. In most cases, adding fat or a lower lifting procedure is more appropriate. I woudl suggest talking with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who performs facial surgery to discuss your options further.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction on neck and face

+1

The area that you are describing is the jowl. Liposuction with tiny cannulas and tiny incisions as possible in these areas. Liposuction in the face is always a tricky procedure because of how little you have to take out to get a good result. See an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who has done a lot of lipo on the face and neck. Many people that offer Smart Lipo are not even plastic surgeons. Make sure that whoever you see has experience. Your problem is fixable and in experienced hands quite routine.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon