6 Days Post-op - No Results from Thigh Lipo. Is this Swelling?

It's 6 dpo from outer thigh lipo under general anesthesia (no local used during procedure) and when I took my garment off today to shower, I looked the same as before. Could this just be swelling and the "pear" still go away?

How soon will I see liposuction results?

+2

Always expect a mild-moderate amount of swelling (edema) after any surgical procedure. With liposuction, the swelling will be more spread out, due to the large areas addressed by the procedure. 

While you will likely SEE an initial improvement in the contour of your skin, you may notice your clothes are as tight or TIGHTER than they were before surgery for several weeks. This is normal. 

As the swelling subsides, and your skin contracts you will see your final result! Unfortunately, this can take 3-6 months... so in the meantime, wear your compression garments as instructed by your doctor (I recommend constant wear for the first 6 weeks, then 12 hours/day for the next 6 weeks minimum).

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results

+2

6 days after liposuction is too early to determine the final results.  You have to give it several months for the swelling to come down.  Keep following you surgeon's instructions.

No visible improvement 6 days postop from liposuction.

+2

You have answered your own question. You know that this is due to swelling. Relax, continue compression, follow your surgeon's instructions, and wait for your new curves to develop.  Be sure to maintain a healthy diet and begin exercise again when cleared by your surgeon.  Take good care, Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

SWELLING AFTER LIPO

+1
At 6 days post op after liposuction swelling is to be expected. The swelling will decrease gradually after the procedure and can be noticeable for up to 3 months.  Liposuction does not always provide an instant result so I caution my patients that their final result may not be visible for 6 months to 1 year.  The best thing you can do now to help the swelling resolve is to continue to wear your compression garment.  I recommend that all of my liposuction patients wear their compression garment 24 hours a day for 6 weeks.  The garment not only helps with the swelling it also helps the skin retract as much as possible.  If the swelling does not decrease or it seems to increase see your plastic surgeon soon as possible.

Be well and good luck!
@norrisplastic

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Liposuction Recovery

+1

Thank you for your question.   This is a common concern that we see.   Patients will typically reach maximum swelling at 72 hours and then slowly begin going down.   

Based on my experience, I typically tell my patients that 50% of my result is from surgery, and the other 50% of the end result is appropriate compression and removal of the swelling. 

I recommend that patients maintain a tight compression garment continously for 72 hours (the peak period of swelling), and then wear compression garments at all times unless bathing or washing garment.  If areas become hard or have prolonged swelling beyond 2 weeks, I recommend deep tissue massage.

I inform my patients that 90% of swelling is gone by 6 weeks and the remaining amount by 6 months.     I wish you a safe recovery and amazing end result.

Dr Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Swelling after Liposuction.

+1

The  lateral thighs,  like every other area treated with liposuction surgery  may remain swollen for many months after the procedure.  At 6 days post op  It is much early to evaluate the results of the surgery. I tell patients it may take 6 months to a year for skin to redrape  completely.

Swelling after Liposuction is Normal

+1

Every patient will have swelling after liposuction.  It can take up to 3 months or more, before you can appreciate the improvement.  We all want immediate results without any downtime, but it just does not happen.  You will do the best by following your surgeon's recommendations, and continue your followup with your doctor.  Revisional surgery may be necessary for some patients, but you would want to wait 6-12 months before making that decision.  Patience is usually rewarded.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Six days is early after thigh liposuction to judge results

+1

Six days is too early after thigh liposuction to judge results. Typically I would advise waiting a minimum of three months.

6 eays post liposuction is too early to judge results.

+1

6 days after liposuction will be accomplanied by a great deal of swelling, where fluid in the tissue has replaced the fat that has been removed.  You will see fairly brisk improvement over six weeks and further improvement over 6 months.

Liposuction

+1

though swelling occurs following any surgical procedure, especially liposuction, one should see results immediately.  I would make sure that there isn't any seromas (liquified blood under the skin), and determine how much fat was removed. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD