What is the Best Approach to Lipo for Flanks with Least Amount of Feathering to Other Areas?

Positoning for flank lipo

+2

If truly limited to the flanks and not the anterior hip, the procedure could be done in the prone position to isolate the flanks, with one or two incisions. However, I generally perform this on their back (supine) and roll patients from side to side.

I want lipo on my sides- what's the best method to get even results?

+2

Liposuction treatment of the sides and the lower back is usually done under general anesthesia.  The patient is usually turned during the surgery so that each side is up in turn.  This allows the surgeon to treat the area and then feather the area into the untreated areas.  Feathering just means that the surgeon blends in the treated to the non-treated areas, so that there are no step-offs or other irregularities between the treated and non treated zones.  The patient usually starts flat on their backs, followed by right side  or left side up, then the opposite side is treated.  Smaller sized tubes are used for feathering liposuction into the untreated areas as well as near the skin surface.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Liposuction of the flanks

+2

Liposuction of the flanks can be approached by having the patient lie on their back first followed by having them lie on their side, or vice-versa. That gives me better visualization and the ability to feather slightly.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+2

Totally agree with Dr. Wallach. If you mean the position on the operating table than supine, lateral decubitus, or prone are all OK. Regards Dr. Darryl J. Blinski. 

Lipo of flanks

+2

I have used many different forms of liposuction over the years and it really comes down to the surgeon not so much the machine.  In terms of positioning, the flanks can be treated with the patient lying on their back on the  table or on their side.

Getting a smooth and even flank liposuction result

+1

Liposuction of the flanks is one of the most successful and rewarding of all the body contouring areas. The goal is to get an inward or concave curve to the area just above the waistline if possible. While not every patient can achieve that result, most can get at least an even line between the rib cage and the hips. Feathering, or making a smooth transition between the treated and untreated areas, of the flanks is fairly to do. The success of that is evidenced by the very low rate of the need for any revisional liposuction procedures needed for the flank area.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD