Will Most Surgeons Draw on Your Body Before Liposuction?

Will Most Surgeons Draw on You B4 Liposuction to Map Areas and Help You See the Plan? To help avoid any miscommunication and get final approval from pt on areas that will be included or not included.

Plastic Surgeons DO Draw the Pre-Surgical Markings before Body Contouring Procedures (Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Butt Lift etc)

+1

Regarding: "Will Most Surgeons Draw on Your Body Before Liposuction?
Will Most Surgeons Draw on You B4 Liposuction to Map Areas and Help You See the Plan? To help avoid any miscommunication and get final approval from pt on areas that will be included or not included
."

I cannot think of a Plastic surgeon who does not mark his patients before body contouring procedures such as Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Butt Lift, Lower boy Lift among others. The markings serve multiple purposes. They
- visually confirm to the patient what the surgeon is planning on doing and in which locations on their body
- it gives the surgeon working parameters in the standing position, the one the world sees you in, which go away once the patient lays down
- it allows the surgeon to plan the sequence of the operation and to minimize needless turning and scar placement

Dr. Peter Aldea

Lipo markings

+1

I always mark my patients prior to any procedure, including liposuction.  It seems to be it would be very difficult to get the result needed by simply "eyeballing" on the table.  That being said, there are probably some board certified plastic surgeons who can do just that.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon or Surgical Marking for liposuction

+1

In my experience, the vast majority of surgeons will mark for two reasons: One is to confirm the areas discussed and to be treated as well as the incisions planned but also to delineate areas in the standing position that may change when a patient lies down on the operating table and makes these areas less prominent.

Marking the patient for liposuction

+1

I generally agree with the answers given although I feel that drawing the lines (with easily washable ink) is part of the consultation process as well as informed consent. The charges for the liposuction are based on the area(s) done and the patient needs to know what the areas are exactly. As part of the preop preparation and informed consent we also take pictures without the markings and then with the markings so the patient can inspect them again before signing the consent form for liposuction for specific areas. In the preop preparation area before surgery the patient is marked again, this time with the "permanent" marking for the OR. 

What I find more difficult is showing the patient how much can be expected to change. This cannot be marked exactly or measured. The "pinch test" is the best way I've found to show the patient how much fat is in the area and how much there is in the next door area that is used as the comparison/endpoint. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Marking the areas in question is an important step

+1

This is usually done in a standing position. The patient herself (or hisself) has the opportunity to point out the specific nuances desired.

Once the person lies down, and the numbing fluid is infiltrated, the landmarks become less visible; so the importance of the markings is paramount. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Presurgical markings are essential in liposuction

+1

Presurgical markings are absolutely paramount before any liposuction procedure. Most importantly, it ensures communication between the patient and the surgeon so that what is done in surgery is what has been agreed upon beforehand. It is also provides a roadmap during the procedure to correctly identify the fat areas to be removed. There is no way any liposuction procedure can be accurately done without these markings.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

I always mark patients prior to liposuction.

+1

Whenever I perform body liposuction, I mark my patients prior to anesthesia in order to create my surgical plan, answer any last minute questions and confirm the plan with the patient. I also take the "before" photographs at this time. All of this helps to clarify communication with the patient. 

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction marking

+1

I always mark my liposuction patients prior to surgery in the holding area. I carefully draw on them, while they are standing, the specific areas to be suctioned and within those areas any contours that specifically need to be addressed – like a topographical map. The patient then has an opportunity to review the markings to make sure that they are consistent with what they want in terms of result and what we discussed at the office. I always do this with the patient standing or upright because the tissues shift when you are laying down and we want to make sure that we get the desired result and one that is not distorted by how you are laying.

Alexander G. Nein, MD

Liposuction preparation for surgery involves marking

+1

After the local anesthetic is infiltrated into the areas that are to be treated with liposuction, there can be some obliteration of landmarks from the swelling of the fluids. It is very helpful for me to see the areas that I have marked with my patients awake and standing up prior to liposuction, during the actual surgery. Furthermore, it helps the patient and me agree that we are both thinking along the same lines of which areas will be treated.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

Yes, it the standard of care in the US. Why do you ask? Please discuss with your chosen PS in detail. Regards Dr. Darryl J. Blinski