Menstrual Period During Liposuction

I am a bit nervous, I will have lipo and fat transfer to my buttock, but I will get my period tomorrow or the day after that, does that mean I will have a higher risk or dieing or something worst? please help!

Inconvenience

+3

I doubt that having your period during your perioperative period (no pun intended) will affect things very much.  

Menstrual period during Liposuction

+1

Having your  menstrual period around the time of your surgery should have no effects on the safety or outcome of the surgery.

Liposuction during menses

+1

The menstrual period during expected time of liposuction should not be an absolute reason to change the surgery date out of concern of infection.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Period pre lipo

+1

I do not believe there is any problem with this.I guess if you are overly concerned then postponing your surgery a week or so should not be too difficult.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Menstrual Period During Cosmetic Surgery

+1

There is no published evidence that having your period during Cosmetic Surgery significantly increases its complication rates. We commonly see women who BEGIN their period during surgery. Personally, I would prefer not to plan surgery during one's period out of consideration for my patient's comfort. Why haver to bother with your period and recovery from surgery if you could separate them? But - if the period happens during surgery, we deal with it. It is really not a big deal.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, Tennessee

Menstrual Period During Liposuction

+1

As stated previously it is more an annoyance. But there are risks of slightly higher infection or contamination rates. Yes I do lipo on menstral patients but I prefer not to. If the rescheduling is not an issue than I try to change the date.  

Menstruation and surgery

+1

While menstruating at the time of surgery is probably more of an annoyance for the pateint, it should not really impact surgery. 

Very common scenario

+1

It seems to be very commen that women develop the onset of their menstrual cycle in the i mmediate time prior to or even on the day of surgery.  No one knows for sure why this is the case, but it may have something to do with the normal enhanced level of anxiety which surrounds having surgery.  Having surgery while someone has their cycle may predipose to more bleeding, and in the case of liposuction, possibel prolonged bruising or swelling afterwards.  It should not, however be cause for serious alarm nor to cancel the case.  Good luck!

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Menstrual Period During Liposuction is OK

+1

This is not an uncommon story. My experience even in women as "regular as a clock" with surgery scheduled between periods often start the day before, day of or within a few days after surgery. Menstrual cycles can become irregular at times of stress, from surgery and anesthesia. It should not be a problem  if you are menstruating at the time of surgery and I have not found personally any increase in complications because of this.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS