Can Liposuction of Belly Fat Help a Person Fight Diabetes?

Liposuction and diabetes

+2

The studies tend to show that the risk factors of fat stores are concentrated in the omental fat, or the fat around the intestines underneath the muscle wall where liposuction doesn't reach. Liposuction has risks, and although its safety has been documented well in many medical reports, diabetics have more risk and it may not be a wise decision to undergo the procedure, especially if the blood sugar is not well controlled.

The fat removed in Liposuction procedures is not the fat that contributes to Diabetes

+1

Hi there-

In all but one of the research studies on fat and diabetes, it has been shown that it is the fat you carry internally (next to your internal organs) that contributes to your risk of diabetes the most.

The fat under your skin (and therefore accessible to liposuction) is not as significant.

Liposuction by itself will not, therefore, lower your risk of diabetes, correct your diabetes, or allow you to reduce your insulin requirements.

Your very best bet is to pursue a healthier weight through diet and exercise. I agree that the physician managed programs are best for patients like yourself.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Liposuction of belly fat and diabetes

+1

No scientific studies have been done with enough stats to accept this hypothesis. Be careful out there. Liposuction may improve the diabetes but I really do not know. Regards.

Liposuction and Diabetes

+1

Liposuction cannot be done on the fat INSIDE the belly (IE VISCERAL / Omentum fat). It can only be done on the fat under the skin. Obesity associated diabetes is NOT a medically recognized indication for liposuction and liposuction is NOT a treatment for obesity. Your best bet is an aggressive, doctor supervised regimen of diet and exercise.

Liposuction and Diabetes

+1

There was only one study, of which I am aware, that showed this. Other studies have not supported this. Therefore, I would not perform this procedure and inform a patient that this is a possibility but not likely nor the intended purpose for the procedure.