Experience from Laser Lipo on Neck and Jowls?

Looking for someone to explain their experience with the Laser lipo of the neck and jowls as well as recovery time.

Liposuction of chin, neck, and jowls can be very effective.

+2

Hi.

I personally think laser lipo is just a marketing idea without scientific basis, and we don't use it in New York City.

Tumescent liposuction of the chin, neck, and jowls is a great option for many people under the age of 50. It takes thirty minutes under local anesthesia with a little sedation, and most people are back at work in 5 days.

Laser liposuction is not the only method for improving neck and jowls

+2

Dear Akimber

There is no evidence that using a laser based instrument for liposuction of the neck and jowl is any better than microcannula liposuciton. What is clear is that the surgeon has to charge additional fees to cover the cost of a $150,000 machine. Irresepective of the method used to accomplish liposuction of these area, recognize that these are wonderful methods for the right people. We often perform lower face (jowl) and neck liposuciton under local in the office operating room on Thursday and the patient returns to work that Monday with absolutely no signs they have had a surgical procedure.

When there are neck cords and significant skin laxity, lower face and neck liposuction will be disappointing. Yes liposuction is a big component of what is done in a lower face lift. However, for many deep suspension of the facial muscle planes and removal of lax skin is needed to rejuvenate the face.

Best advise, seek multiple consultations, study the before and after photos and then choose your surgeon carefully after considering who makes the most sense and who you are most comfortable with.

Neck & Jowl liposuction with laser lipoplasty (laser assisted lipolysis)

+2

Laser lipoplasty & liposuction of the neck & jowl can be accomplished under local anesthesia in tolerant individuals. Bruising tends to resolve within 7-10 days in most instances. The skin tends to tighten and become firm over 6 weeks and then softens thereafter. Skin contraction cannot always be predicted. In general, individuals under 30 tend to have better contraction than those over 55. History of extensive sun exposure or repeated weight gain and loss will diminish the capacity to shrink.

Treatment of jowls and neck fat

+2

If you have laxity of skin in the jowl area and neck, removing fat with any kind of liposuction, including laser types, will not give you as good a result as a facelift. This is because the surgery doesn't depend on skin shrinkage, it removes the extra. Lipo requires skin shrinkage to work and lasers don't do this any better than your own skin knows how to do.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Smart Lipo improves neck results

+1

I have more than 25 years experience with traditional liposuction of the neck and 2 years experience with Smart Lipo laser assisted liposuction of the neck.

Smart Lipo is not needed in the young patient with good skin elasticity and is not a substitute for a Facelift in patients with loose hanging skin of the neck.

There is a middle group of patients with fat and mild to moderate skin laxity who will benefit from Laser Lipo of the neck. In most patients, there is better contracting and skin tightening when the Laser is used in addition to the liposuction fat removal.

We have found that many of our Facelift patients require less work in the neck, shorter scars , and less skin removal when Smart Lipo is used in the neck as part of a mid face lift or a full Facelift.

Visit a surgeon who can offer you both options and has photos to demonstrate his work.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the neck and jowls

+1

liposuction of the neck and jowls is an excellent procedure in the right patient. It can be performed under local anesthesia with mild sedation and patients will typically have it on a Thursday or Friday and return to an office job on Monday.

You will of course need to be evaluated first so that your surgeon can make appropriate recommendations which might include a chin implant, or possibly a neck lift if there is more excess skin.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

I do use Lipotherme

+1

I don't do jowls above the jaw due to risk of nerve injury.

It works fine, slightly decreased down time and bruising. Better shrinkage of skin compared to traditional liposuction.

The key is the degree of skin laxity- too much and a neck lift would be the better option.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Laser lipo fo neck

+1

I actually was the guinnea pig for my parner and it was very easy to go through. I have no real pain, just some bruised feeling and actually had very little bruising itself. There is the risk of loose skin so it is important that the person who is doing it know if you are a good candidate or not and if you are willing to deal with the excess skin if you have it. The newer laser that have 1440 or 1400 wavelength may give better skin contraction.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction for the neck and jowls.

+1

Any form of liposuction for the neck and jowls will create extra skin which needs to be removed. Therefore, I feel that a facelift to remove the extra skin created by the liposuction is your best choice. This is based on more than 30 years of experience doing liposuction and facelifting.

The result will depend on the skin elasticity and muscle tone

+1

I have used laser lipo and had great results from laser lipo,but it was on the patients that did not need neck lift. The amount of swelling and brusing is much less with laser lipo and faster recovery.

You may and may not be a candidate for laser lipo. Please arrange for consultation with more than one board certified plastic surgeon to get more informartion.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon