Swelling in Feet After Liposuction

I had Liposuction 2 weeks ago and had 2.5 liters of fat removed from my knees, thighs, stomach and back and am experiencing severe bloating.

I wanted to know if swelling is normal on the feet? The swelling on my back is as hard as a rock.

Post Lipo swelling

+2

You are really talking about two things that are normal.

The feet do swell as a result of compression garments and retained fluid from surgery- this is normal and resolves over time.  Keep the feet elevated to expedite resolution of swelling.

The hardness is called induration and is really swelling between the cells, and likely some sluggish resolution of lymph fluid. It will become lumpy and bumpy until it finally heals. Compression garments help, and massage (deep tissue/lymphatic drainage) will help. Again, you need to give it more time. The good news is that your size will reduce and the detail will become evident as swelling resolves

Lower extremity (legs, calves, ankles) swelling following liposuction

+2

Swelling of the legs and ankles is quite common following extensive liposuction to the thighs and can be aggravated by the compression garments. Unilateral (swelling and/or pain) can be a sign of a mores serious condition such as a blood clot and should be evaluated emergently. Otherwise, gentle ambulation, toes to thighs compression wear, and time will resolve the swelling.

Knee liposuction in Los Angeles

+1

It is not uncommon to have gravity affect the swelling in your feet after liposuction. This will resolve quickly. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Foot Swelling After Thigh and Knee Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is an extensive sterile traumatic event. You are stabbed tens to hundreds of times with a sterile steel tube which vacuums fat from under the skin. To compress these tunnels and promote scar adherence of the skin to the underlying muscle frame we commonly use compression garments (medicalese for girdles).

The trauma of surgery results in swelling and some hardness of the tissues under the skin and swelling below the area. The garments themselves delay flow in the veins and lymphatic vessels below the garments resulting in swelling. This is common and could be alleviated with periodic loosening of the garment, massaging of the feet / calves towards the groins and either elevation of the legs or lying supine for an hour or so.