Lip Injury From Dog Bite

My puppy bit a smallish (not tiny) chunk of my lower lip... The flesh that was bitten off sort of hangs on top of the wound. It's really swollen & hurts:( The injury wasn't deep enough to require stitches but now there's a hole in my lip! How does lip skin heal? What can I do to aid healing? Will the hole fill up as the wound heals? Or will it have a dented appearance? And if so, what can be done to bring it up to the height of the surrounding skin? Is there such a thing as topical augmentation?

Lip repair after dog bite.

See an experienced surgeon for an evaluation since it is impossible to give you a good answer with seeing the problem. If the surgeon thinks it will improve, he will wait several months: if not, he may revise it now.

Lip wound after dog bite

In general lip wounds heal very fast, but any scar or deformity that is left afterward may be able to be corrected by a board-certified plastic surgeon.  You should probably seek a consultation to establish care.  I usually perform scar revisions after one year of healing time.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon