Can a Too Tight Face Lift Improve with Time?

I have significantly noticeable bulges beginning slightly below either side of my mouth and radiating towards my ears where my skin has been pulled. I am three weeks post surgery and still have swelling on the sides of my face.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Tightness early after a Face Lift

+4

Hi sukietawdry in Asheville,

Face lift surgery has evolved over the years, but still involves tissue repositioning and tightening. The tight sensation will resolve as the tissue relaxes. One month is still early after the face lift, and many patients report this sensation.

Yes, to a degree skin is pulled, but more importantly the tissue and muscle beneath the skin is tightened. This deeper layer is the secret to face lift surgery. The covering skin displays what is happening underneath the face. The majority of the pull is generally not on the skin layer itself.

Speak to your face lift plastic surgeon regarding any concerns you may have. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Facelift Swelling will go. Patience is a must!

+6

YES.   You will favorably improve with time.  At 3 weeks you should look okay but you still have a lot of healing to do.  Swelling takes time. Firmness takes time.  Remember the healing process is defined as 1 year. Every day you will look a little better.  When you get up in th morning think....its a great day and I look better than yesterday.  You will.  Good Luck.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+4

Some feeling of tightness is normal in the early days after a face lift. You will still have significant swelling and as this improves the feeling of tightness will improve with it. If you are concerned discuss it with your surgeon.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Early post facelift swelling and skin tightness

+4

That early from a facelift...you will have some swelling, so that should get better and it may be normal.  Too much skin tightness after facelift, while less than ideal, will most likely "relax" with time.  Sometimes, regular moisturizing of tight skin can help it feel better and adapt (strech) better.  

Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lines in Cheeks after Facelift

+4

What you describe is a problem that is usually present before surgery if you search for it, but is accentuated by most facelift techniques. Fortunately, if due to skin pull, it will relax some with time. If this does change, it will take some time. I would not consider doing anything to modify this for at least 6-9 months if this does not resolve.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Resolution of tightness following a Facelift

+3

Three weeks is still prettly early, and you can still anticipate some degree of tightness following a facelift. Most facelifts look a little tight right after the surgery, and this generally goes away as swelling resolves and your skin relaxes somewhat. This can take up to several months. 

There are many different techniques used to do facelifts. Some techniques emphasize just the tightening of the skin which can result in the overly tight or overdone look following a facelift. Other techniques emphasize tightening of the deeper tissues or SMAS layer, which generally do not produce the overtightened appearance, but usually take longer, but also tend to last longer. Good results can be achieved with either when done by experienced and thoughtful plastic surgeons.

Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facelift

+3

3 weeks after facelift surgery, one would expect to have some residual swelling.  Rest assured, this will continue to decrease over the next 2 months.  Many of these lines that you are seeing will improve as a result.   Make sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

St. Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

After a facelift, the face and neck can feel tight

+3

Feelings of tightness after a facelift is not terribly uncommon. Your swelling can certainly improve over time so that you look and feel more natural.

Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time is the key!

+3

Patients can have some anxieties about the result of their facelift in the immediate post-operative period.  In order to achieve a natural, lasting result the skin has to be released from the underlying tissue and placed under an appropriate amount of tension which initially can give a "pulled" or drawn appearance.  Not to worry, the skin is a very elastic tissue and you can expect a "relapse" in skin tone in about 90 days after surgery which will begin to the reveal the final appearance a patient is expecting! 

Facelift swelling and tightness will go away!

+3
Yes, your swelling and tightness will subside in time. It is not abnormal to feel tightness three weeks after surgery and each day should bring along some changes for the better. As far as the visible bulges it is difficult to comment on without knowing the exact procedure and technique used. I would suggest going in to see your surgeon as soon as possible and he/she should be able to answer your concerns and hopefully give you some peace of mind. Best regards and remember time is on your side.