1 Day Post Lip Augmentation: Partial and Uneven Swelling

Hi, I had a lip augmentation (with hyraluronic acid) yesterday,only uppler lip, a low dose (half shot) to even my lips and fill the upper right part got thinner by age. When i left the Doctors practice all was perfect, no swelling, no bruise. i went to gym then dinner but after 6 hours right side started to swell. now there is a big difference with right and left. is it nomal? can it be removed? thank you for your time.

Swellinga fter lip augmentation with fillers is very common

+2

IMHO, you shouldn't throw yourself into a panic because your upper lip has swelling after fillers to the lip.  It's normal and very typical, especially if you had strenous activity right after the injections...which increased the blood supply to the lip.  Call the MD who did the injections for his/her instructions...we would have you apply ice to the area for the next day or so.  Hope this helps and be sure to have a layer of cloth (tee shirt or pillow case) between the bag of ice and your lip so it doesn't burn your lip.

Uneven Swelling One Day After Lip Augmentation With Restylane or Juvederm

+2

I warn all of my patients not to make any "final" decisions until at least one week after their lip augmentation. Side effects associated with Restylane or Juvederm (hyaluronic acid) injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain and occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling post lip augmentation

+2

I generally advise my patients to avoid excercising right after Juvederm or Restylane injections as I feel it contributes to swelling.  If the swelling is painful, ask the physician who injected you (hopefully it was a physician) for a very short course of prednisone to help with the swelling if taking benadryl doesn't help.  The lip should calm down quickly.  I agree with the other commentors that if the lips looked good when you left, then it is a good bet they will settle down and look good.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after filler is normal.

+2

Everything should be fine with your lips in a few days.  The fact that they were even when you left the office is a good indicator that they will be even when the swelling goes down.  It is not unusual for one side to swell more than the other.  Sometimes it can be associated with some bruising that may develop leter.  I recommned ice compresses  and benadryl to help the swelling go away.  Most swelling is resolved within 2-3 days.  A bruise will take longer to resolve.  Certainly if the swelling does not go down, call you doctors office.

Heather Haley, MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+2

It is not uncommon to have swelling and bruising after fillers are injected for lip augmentation. It is too soon to judge the result of your treatment. At this point, just call the office alert them to your concerns and be patient. You may need a touch up as well.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Time and patience will most likely lead to a perfect outcome...swelling is very common

+1

after lip injections and resolves within several days to a week or so...but some issues...injecting into a highly vascular area / lots of small and large vessels...temporarily injures the vessels and makes them leaky...and when you go to the gym and vigorously work out too soon after treatment...you almost assure more swelling and bleeding into the area than you want...so in the future, exercise after a day or two...better to simply apply ice to close the vessels after treatment...and it looks like you probably need some filler into your lower lip to optimize your appearance...so the unevenness of the right and left sides will most likely equalize within a week or so...otherwise easily improved

Ken Landow, MD

Lip Swelling Post Augmentation

+1

If your lips were even after a hyaluronic filler injection when you left the doctors office, and did not get assymetric until later , most likely the problem is just that, swelling and maybe a little bleeding and should resolve on its own.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after lip augmentation

+1

Asymmetric swelling after injections to achieve lip augmentation is not uncommon.  I would relax about this for a week or two.  Fortunately, if the asymmetry persists and is noticeable to others, judicious use of the enzyme hyaluronidase by your physician should take care of the problem.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation and swelling

+1

Some swelling is common after filler injection especially after exercise. Usually it settles down in a few days, but if it is alarmingly large or bruised, you may want to see your doctor.