Is Juvederm for Lips Painful?

I went a couple days ago to get my lips plumped up with Juvederm. The MD applied a topical anesthetic and then proceded to give a local one like you get in your gums at the dentist. It was so painful that I fainted. I didn't even get to have my lips done. I'm too scared to go back and finish the procedure but I paid a lot of money. Is there any way this can be completed with out me having to pass out from the pain? Should lip injections hurt this bad?

Have your doctor mix Lidocaine with Juvederm

+3

That must have been really painful to faint like that.

Make sure the physician leaves the topical anesthetic on 30-40 minutes. Perhaps, after your experience, the doctor has found another pharmacy to mix up his anesthetic formulation. We have found our topical to be wonderful, after trying two others (one including Pliaglis).

I find Morita's Hurricaine sticks to be helpful under the lip and in the area for the dental block. Then the dental block should be performed knocking out the infraorbital and mental nerves.

Agree with the adding Lidocaine to the filler helps and slow injection techniques.
Not that I agree with this but some physicians, prefer not to do a dental block. They feel that the dental block can distort the lips.

Using the above measures should make lip augmentation much less of a harrowing event for you.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Anesthesia with Lip Augmentation: Juvederm, Restylane. Towards painless lip augmentation

+3

Lip Augmentation with facial fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane is a very common procedure. Although pain tolerance between patients varies considerably, there are many topical, injection technique related, and infiltrative anesthetic treatments that can minimize pain.

A reasonable approach to anesthesia for lip augmentation should focus on the following techniques:

• Local anesthetic block of the infraorbital nerve and mental nerves
  • Topical anesthesia of the inner lip mucosa and the outer lip skin
  • Bolus injections of lidocaine into the upper sulcus and lower sulcus to reduce any ancillary nerve fibers
  • Use of a smaller needle.

If you are still having pain after the first injection, have your practitioner apply more topical anesthetic and injection. Be aware that anesthetics have toxic doses and only an experienced medical physician should be injecting these medicines.

Juvederm placed in the lips can be painful if no local...

+3

Juvederm placed in the lips can be painful if no local or topical is used. Some of my patients take it "cold" - no anesthetics. Most take at least a topical.

For the more sensitive patients, I will often place a topical on the skin for 30 minutes, and add a viscous lidocaine solution to be placed along the gum line inside the mouth for about 5-10 minutes prior to performing nerve blocks. This makes the lip completely anesthetic and very easy for the patient.

I am sure you were just very nervous, and that is why you fainted. My patients often comment on how easy the procedure went.

There are many techniques which can be used to lessen...

+2

There are many techniques which can be used to lessen the discomfort associated with Juvederm injections in any part of the face. Ice, topical numbing creams, and distractors (such as vibrating devices or pinching) can often help to minimize the discomfort.

In my practice, I have started placing numbing medicine in the Juvederm. This, combined with topical medication, usually allows for very little discomfort during injection.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

No need to have any pain

+2

Juvederm to the lips are painful if you do not get adequate anesthesia.

I usually do nerve block (like the dentists use) to numb the lips. Once the lip is completely numb, I do the injection.

Next time, ask for nerve block.

Juvederm Post-Care

+1
I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Generally, topical anesthetic and ice applied prior to the treatment is enough to help minimize your discomfort. Some physicians use the anesthetic injection you described, but I do not believe this is necessary for pain control, as topical anesthetics and ice are usually enough. I would advise that you try again, only using topical anesthetics and ice.

Web reference: http://www.edelsteincosmetic.com/learning-centre/injectables-recovery.php

Fainting from the pain of a shot of xylocaine may have something to do with

+1

your pain threshold and some undue anxiety about the whole process...and some people are much more prone to faint than others....sounds like a likely and actually not a rare situation...the solution may be to take a mild anti-anxiety pill an hour or two before treatment and have someone drive you to the appointment...and of course the topical numbing medicine for a reasonable period of time in the area where you'll be getting the xylocaine...if you can't tolerate even the xylocaine injection the likelihood of your tolerating the injections without any locally injected numbing medicine is nil...and if you and the doctor can't find a way to anesthetize your lips, sure he'll gladly refund the most or all of the money...

Juvederm in the lips does not have to be painful

+1

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort with lip injections.It doesn't have to be that way. We use a really fabulous topical numbing agent mixed by a pharmacist on the lips for 30 minutes. Then I apply the topical under the lip that the dentists use called Hurricaine. We wait a couple of minutes for that to work and then I do a miniature dental block. This gives me 20 to 30 minutes without feeling in your lips.

It also helps if the doctor is injecting the products that have Lidocaine added. If they did not buy it that way they can add it to the filler if they have the adapter for mixing.

With all these steps you should be very comfortable. Also,be sure you have eaten something with a little protein a couple of hours prior to the treatment. Some patients get light headed because their blood sugar drops from the aprehension of the treatment.

It never fails that the noon patient has not eaten since dinner the night before.

I hope this helps and makes your next doctor's visit a bit easier.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Juviderm for Lips is not painful

+1

At my practice, I inject a local anesthetic before the procedure to numb the lips completely. Most of my patients don't feel anything at all. The numbness wears off in less than an hour and they can go about their day normally.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/products-3/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Juvederm painful?

+1

Our goal is to make your filler treatment as comfortable as possible. However, pain tolerance varies from patient to patient. Thankfully, Juvederm now contains Lidocaine, a popular and safe local numbing agent. In addition to this, we apply a topical numbing cream to make the treatment virtually painless. We have found that with the addition of Lidocaine to the Juvederm syringe there is no longer a need for dental blocks, which can themselves be uncomfortable.

Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon