Best Technique to Massage Juvederm into Place?

I had Juvederm in my nasolabial folds three days ago and on one side, the substance is not in the actual wrinkle trough, but just to the side of it. For various reasons, I can't get to the doctor's office for several days to have him deal with it, and he told me on the phone to massage it into place. I think this means I will take my skin between fingers (outside) and thumb (under lip), squeeze, then push toward the wrinkle (I'm thinking toothpaste tube)... I'm just sort of afraid to get started. Any tips on this technique before I give it a go?

I would wait until you see your doctor before doing...

+4

I would wait until you see your doctor before doing anything. Because you only had your injection three days ago, it is possible that the fullness you are experiencing is actually swelling.

There is the possibility that the Juvederm has migrated slightly and will need to be massaged, but at this point, I would wait until your physician can evaluate things and let him or her determine if massage is the best solution.

Unwanted massage can displace the Juvederm and actually negate any benefit you might have had.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps After Juvederm

+1
Lumps and bumps usually resolve on their own, once the filler starts to get incorporated with your own skin tissue. It would be best if you book a follow up appointment with your injector in 1-2 weeks, and he/she can massage any residual lumps or bumps at that time.
I recommend you do not massage them yourself.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Massaging Juvederm is not the answer

+1

It's unfortunate that you were unable to have the doctor or one of his staff members perform a quick evaluation to address your concern. Being that the product is not able to migrate into a different position after 3 days, it's not clear why this was suggested to you. Because you may actually be seeing swelling vs. product, massaging may exacerbate the situation. If you and your doctor agree that the product is not in the intended area, dissolving it with hyaluronidase would be a much better option than manual extraction. Giving advice like this over the phone without seeing you is not prudent or effective.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

If you can see the actual thread of Juvederm under the...

+1

If you can see the actual thread of Juvederm under the skin this could mean that it was injected too close to the skin. Wait 4-5 days. If you still see the actual thread, your doctor can squeeze it out. 

The rule of thumb in medicine is: "When you are not sure, Do Not Touch."

Payman Simoni, MD