Why Can I Feel the Juvederm Thread Under my Skin?

I can feel the thread of jevederm injection, is this normal?

I just had my first juvederm injection. I love the results however when the doctor was injecting a marinette line it hurt much worse than the other side and I first thought it felt numb..when I got home I realized I can feel I think what is called the thread, will this disolve or it is normal, I plan to call the office but am curious what other specialist have to say.

A small palpable thread or bump after Juvederm may be ok, but not if it lasts.

+2

Juvederm and Restylane both can leave palpable threads or lumps. This is not a problem if over the next few days it melts away or softens with gentle massage. But if it is visible, and does not melt in, see your injector sooner rather than later for correction.

What to do if you can feel Juvederm

+2

It is not unusual to be able to feel Juvederm under the skin if you go hunting for it, especially in the first few days after the treatment.  In these situations, it usually spontaneously resolves in short order. 

Since the point of Juvederm is to improve the way you look , you should evaluate the area for a visible lump or ridge.  If such a problem exists, you should work towards resolving it.  Gentle massage often is effective but you may need to visit your doctor in the event that it persists.  If it looks great and you can only feel a small lump, leave it alone and enjoy the way it looks.  Any manipulation you do to get rid of this invisible problem is likely to diminish the visible improvement.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feeling vs. Seeing Juvederm under skin

+2

Feeling the product is not too unusual for the first 48 hours. The injected area usually softens progressively and blends nicely. I would only be concerned if you see the "thread" which may indicate improper placement. If you and your injector agree that the product has left an undesirable effect, ask about having this resolved with hyaluronidase.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm Thread

+1

It is quite common to feel a thread or lump of juvederm subsequent to a treatment.  It generally will go down over the next couple of days, and can go down faster with gentle massage. If this lump persists more than a week, call your injector and have him/her check you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Feeling or seeing fillers under the skin.

+1

Feeling the filler in the skin is not too unusual for the first  several days and it should feel firm.  However, you should not be able to visualize the "thread".  I am not so much worried about whether a patient can feel a filler, as much as I am for a patient to actually see the filler.  If you are able to visualize the injection thread and If it does not resolve within about a week, I would revisit your injector.  This means it could have been injected to close to the surface.  If this is the case, it will disappear when the product disappears, or the injector can sometimes correct it.  I would be sure to massage the area to try to flatten out anything you can visualize.     

Grant Stevens, MD

Juvederm Threads Can Be Normal!

+1

It's normal--remember that Juvederm is actually a gel substance---this gel is injected into folds and wrinkles in order to replace volume which is lost over time.  So after an injection of the gel, it is not unususal to be able to feel the thread of gel immediately following and for a few weeks after the injection.  After awhile, as the Juvederm is slowly absorbed into the surrounding tissue, it is less "thready".  I f you see a blue bulge, however, you can return to your doctor for this to be removed.

Tobi B. Richman-Steinhardt, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm injected too superficially

+1

If you can feel the Juvederm beneath the skin, it may have been injected too superficially or close to the skin's surface.  Certain areas have very thin skin (under eyes) and the Juvederm product needs to be injected fairly deeply to avoid a visible bulge or a palpable bulge.  The bulge will eventually resolve as this product only lasts about 6-8 months. However if the bump/bulge troubles you, I would recommend you ask your injector to consider injecting Hyaluronidase, which is a chemical that can help dissolve the active ingredient in the Juvederm.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Juvederm under skin

+1

Juvederm if placed too superficially can result in a visible thread.  Most often this is temporary, however, this  can persist in some patients and may require an HA melter called Hyaluronidase to effectively melt it.  Observation and massage are the most appropriate first steps.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and visibility in creases

+1

Occasionally juvederm and also the other hyaluronic acid filler restylane can be visible under the skin if it is injected superficially into shallow lines. Often this can be improved by simply massaging the area until it flattens out. Sometimes it may persist and if it does the visibility will diminish over time. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Palpable Juvederm under the skin

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

Juvederm is commonly used around the lips, the smile lines, the marionette lines, under deep wrinkles, under deep scars, and even under the area of the eye.

If Juvederm is placed to superficially, you may see the thread of Juvederm or you may feel the product itself. Rest assured that Juvederm will slowly dissolve after 8 to 9 months. If this thread of Juvederm is noticeable, your doctor may be able to remove some of it through a small incision or may choose to melt some of it by injecting a medication that will help break the Juvederm down.

Pat Pazmino, MD