Juvederm Injections - Could my Neurological Disease Affect the Results?

Hi, I am scheduled to have Juviderm injections tomorrow. I am a little worried because I have a Neurological disease called Blepharospasm and Respiratory Dystonia.

Long story short, I have some uncontrollable facial movement and grimacing. Will this keep the Juviderm from helping me? Do you have to keep your face still for hours or days after injections... because I can't control the grimacing.

Please help me ASAP! Thanks! Paintingartistlady

Juvederm is very safe

+3

Juvederm is a very safe product that gives a very natural, long lasting correction to facial folds and wrinkles.

The most common side effect is bruising, the risk of which would be increased on certain medications. For this reason, always review your complete medical history with your doctor and be sure your dermatologist is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology.

Since Juvederm has no effect on the nervous system or neuromuscular junction, it is safe to use if your treating physician has done the pre-treatment medical history review. It may be a bit challenging to inject a moving target, however, thus increasing the possibility of asymmetry of correction. This could be corrected at a subsequent visit; however. Juvederm does not require you to stay still after injection, nor does it require massage or manipulation by the patient.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Juvederm shouldn't affect neurological disorders

+2

Cheers! I do not anticipate you having any problems with Juvederm. It should not affect your neurological disorders since Juvederm is a dermal filler that is biochemically comprised of hyaluronic acid.

Hyaluronic acid is found naturally occurring in the skin of humans. The degree of your facial movement and the proximity of the Juvederm injections could possibly effect the duration of the product. In other words, it may not last as long. Anatomically, we see this with all patients: injections in the lips do not last as long as Juvederm injected into the smile creases.

Prior to your injections, I would advise you to obtain medical clearance with your internist, neurologist and/or pulmonologist. As with any medical procedure, a thorough and informed consent should be obtained from your treating physician, discussing the nature and purpose of the procedure, and its inherent risks and complications.

Best of luck! I hope this helps.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm acts very different than Botox. It is merely a...

+2

Juvaderm acts very different than Botox. It is merely a filler. The hyaluronic acid in Juvederm simply supplements the body's age-depleted hyaluronic acid to plump-up the wrinkle. In contrast, Botox causes muscle relaxation.

Payman Simoni, MD

Juvederm injections in neurologic patients

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

Juvederm is commonly used around the lips, the smile lines, the marionette lines, under deep wrinkles, under deep scars, and even under the area of the eye.

Juvederm is made up of the ground substance of skin. It is also placed in the superficial layer of the skin where it does not move. It is very unlikely that Juvederm will affect your neurologic disease. If you remain concerned, you should visit with neurologist and let them know of your concerns

Pat Pazmino, MD

Juvederm

+1

I agree with the other doctors. Juvederm, and for that matter, any of the other fillers should be fine with your neurological condition. Please update us as to how you liked the product and what your experience has been.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm and neurologic disorders

+1

Juvederm is made of hyaluronic acid. It should not have any effect on your neurologic disorder. Juvederm is unlike Botox, which works on blocking nerve function.