Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?

I would like to purchase juvederm and botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true?

Buying your own Botox and Juvederm

+4

You can't legally buy these products in the US because you don't have a license to practice medicine, and any product you import from another country can't legally be injected since it hasn't been approved by the FDA. 

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+3

Regarding: "Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?
I would like to purchase Juvederm and Botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true
?"

By law, Botox, Juvederm and other medications are NOT sold to anyone who does not have a license to practice Medicine. If you do buy such items whoever is selling it to you is breaking the law by selling it to a non-physician or by selling you a fake medication. The purchase of Botox and other medications from "over seas" pharmacies is also illegal and any physician injecting a patient with such materials risks Federal penalties and potential loss of his medical license. Finally, injecting yourself with Botox is as intelligent as performing your own appendectomy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

+2
In Australia, Juvederm and other dermal fillers are Scheduled drugs and are prescription only products. They can only be injected by Doctors and some specially trained nurses who work under doctors supervision. You cannot 'buy' it either online or order it from a different country legally.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Should you inject fillers and Botox in your own face?

+2
I am concerned for you.  Even if you could obtain the medications and equipment needed, and I have never heard of someone being able to do that, if you weren't using strictly clean or sterile technique you could get an infection that hides out in the deep tissues of the face and is very hard to eradicate with antibiotics.  You could hit an artery or nerve trunk and get in real trouble with necrosis (death) of skin or nerves, paralyzing a portion of your face, or even causing permanent blindness or stroke.

On a simpler level, no matter how intelligent or careful you are, there is really no possibility of you being happy with the results.  For example, I was in school, doing medical research, or in a training program for 27 years before I saw my first dermatology patients withiut supervision.  I then studied and was trained in aesthetic procedures for another 5 years, and only then began treating patients with cosmetic procedures.  Actually, the learning never stops.

i was trying to see if this question was submitted on April 1st, because I think you are just pulling our legs to make us a little crazy, right? Did you used to do this to your poor mother, too?

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Do It Yourself Injections

+1
Not only is this a very bad idea, it is illegal.  It is illegal to import the product let alone purchase it in the United States. You have no idea how much danger you would be subjecting yourself to.  Below is a link to a segment that ABCs 20/20 did on people who illegally self inject.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm is a medical device

+1
Even MDs that can order this product, it is not wise to treat yourself.  As you are not an MD, it cannot be condoned to purchase this product for yourself, by yourself.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Better not to inject Juvederm yourself

+1
I would not advise purchasing your own product and injecting it yourself. I would only recommend that product be injected by a trained professional, such as a physician or nurse, as it requires specialized techniques with knowledge of where to inject and how much product to use. It is an art, and not simply injecting. In addition, I would only advise that a physician or nurse use product that has been approved in your own country. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Don't Buy Your Own Injectables

+1
The companies that manufacture these products will not sell them to you without a medical license. Although you may see them advertised on the Internet, it's likely that the products you purchase from outside vendors may be diluted, contaminated, or counterfeit. There are no reputable third-party vendors that sell genuine BOTOX® or JUVÉDERM® to consumers. Due to the complex structure of the face, self-injecting can have serious consequences. Please visit a reputable doctor if you'd like to undergo any type of injectable treatment. Your safety and your beauty are not worth the risk.

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't do it

+1
Besides being illegal you are not trained in to inject botox and filler.  The odds of something going wrong are quite high.  Spend the extra money for a doctor and be safe.

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon

You cannot legally by Juvederm without a physician's license

+1
It is illegal to buy a controlled substance without a physician's license.  Injecting yourself is also not a good idea. It is also illegal to  import Juvederm from another country.