Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?

I would like to purchase juvederm and botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true?

Buying your own Botox and Juvederm

+3

You can't legally buy these products in the US because you don't have a license to practice medicine, and any product you import from another country can't legally be injected since it hasn't been approved by the FDA. 

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+3

Regarding: "Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?
I would like to purchase Juvederm and Botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true
?"

By law, Botox, Juvederm and other medications are NOT sold to anyone who does not have a license to practice Medicine. If you do buy such items whoever is selling it to you is breaking the law by selling it to a non-physician or by selling you a fake medication. The purchase of Botox and other medications from "over seas" pharmacies is also illegal and any physician injecting a patient with such materials risks Federal penalties and potential loss of his medical license. Finally, injecting yourself with Botox is as intelligent as performing your own appendectomy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Should you inject fillers and Botox in your own face?

+2
I am concerned for you.  Even if you could obtain the medications and equipment needed, and I have never heard of someone being able to do that, if you weren't using strictly clean or sterile technique you could get an infection that hides out in the deep tissues of the face and is very hard to eradicate with antibiotics.  You could hit an artery or nerve trunk and get in real trouble with necrosis (death) of skin or nerves, paralyzing a portion of your face, or even causing permanent blindness or stroke.

On a simpler level, no matter how intelligent or careful you are, there is really no possibility of you being happy with the results.  For example, I was in school, doing medical research, or in a training program for 27 years before I saw my first dermatology patients withiut supervision.  I then studied and was trained in aesthetic procedures for another 5 years, and only then began treating patients with cosmetic procedures.  Actually, the learning never stops.

i was trying to see if this question was submitted on April 1st, because I think you are just pulling our legs to make us a little crazy, right? Did you used to do this to your poor mother, too?

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Don't do it.

+1
It's illegal to practice medicine without a licence. But why would you want to do it anyway. I'm a physician and I don't inject myself. Your best treating physician is an objective observer. This is also why I don't treat my own family. Put yourself in the hands of a professional! 

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1
Whether it is legal or not should not be the issue in this case, what you should be asking yourself is whether this is a good idea. Because they are so widespread, sometimes it seems as though injectables such as Juvederm are without risk however this couldn't be farther from the truth. There are significant risks including infection, skin necrosis (= skin death) and even blindness. In my opinion there is no amount of money you could save by self injecting these products that is worth accepting these risks. Also, if you are buying product from a foreign country you can never be sure what you are actually getting. Stories about about people being injected with anything from motor oil to silicone caulking, all you need to do is a quick google search to read these horror stories.

Please spare yourself and your loved ones this potential disaster and either have the injections done properly or don't have them done at all!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Can I buy and inject my own Juvederm or Botox?

+1
It is illegal and very unwise to purchase filler or Botox and inject yourself. The FDA requires that these products be purchased only by licensed physicians. Although receiving an injection is easy and it looks like it is easy to perform, there can be SIGNIFICANT complications such as tissue necrosis, blindness, infections, etc. that can be devastating and very difficult to treat. These complications are most often technical in nature (the injector must know how and where to inject). In the hands of a practiced injector, the complications are extremely rare and, if they occur and are quickly recognized, they can be treated there and then. Please do not take this task on yourself and seek a qualified injector to perform your enhancement. If you can get these products, they may be contaminated, counterfeit or outdated and could cause more harm than good.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Buying and injecting your own filler

+1
To be frank, this is a bad idea for several reasons.

Number one, it is illegal to buy fillers in the United States unless you have a licensed to practice medicine, with good reason.

Number two, unless you understand the physiology of the skin in addition to the anatomy of the face knowing where every muscle artery nerve and they lies, you should not be injecting. This applies to your provider too. 

Number three, even if you do have a license and you do know the anatomy, injecting yourself is just logistically and technically difficult. You may find a few doctors who do it here and there, but for the most part people just rely on their colleagues even when they themselves are skilled injectors.

Seek the help of a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these core cosmetic specialties. It will be worth the extra few dollars.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Buying your own injectibles

+1
Juverderm and Botox are only available for purchase by medical professionals who are qualified to inject these products. Products that are obtained outside of the US are not allowed to be legally injected by a medical practitioner within the US. I would strongly recommend being evaluated and treated by a qualified medical professional for any filler or neurotoxin injections you receive.

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor General Surgeon

Where can i legally buy juvederm to inject my own skin

+1
it is a bad idea to inject yourself. one should allow a specialist physician to perform these volumizing and face  sculpting injections.

Alina K. Stanciu, MD
Naples Ophthalmologist

Do It Yourself Injections

+1
Not only is this a very bad idea, it is illegal.  It is illegal to import the product let alone purchase it in the United States. You have no idea how much danger you would be subjecting yourself to.  Below is a link to a segment that ABCs 20/20 did on people who illegally self inject.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon