Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?

I would like to purchase juvederm and botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true?

+4

Regarding: "Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?
I would like to purchase Juvederm and Botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true
?"

By law, Botox, Juvederm and other medications are NOT sold to anyone who does not have a license to practice Medicine. If you do buy such items whoever is selling it to you is breaking the law by selling it to a non-physician or by selling you a fake medication. The purchase of Botox and other medications from "over seas" pharmacies is also illegal and any physician injecting a patient with such materials risks Federal penalties and potential loss of his medical license. Finally, injecting yourself with Botox is as intelligent as performing your own appendectomy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Do Not Do This Without a Proper and Intact Medical License

+3
I would strongly recommend never doing this. As part of a group devoted to preventing fake and counterfeit products like this entering the US, we don't accept this – and it is against the law to obtain a medicine, which this is, without a proper and intact medical license. Don't do it.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Buying your own Botox and Juvederm

+3

You can't legally buy these products in the US because you don't have a license to practice medicine, and any product you import from another country can't legally be injected since it hasn't been approved by the FDA. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+2
Whether it is legal or not should not be the issue in this case, what you should be asking yourself is whether this is a good idea. Because they are so widespread, sometimes it seems as though injectables such as Juvederm are without risk however this couldn't be farther from the truth. There are significant risks including infection, skin necrosis (= skin death) and even blindness. In my opinion there is no amount of money you could save by self injecting these products that is worth accepting these risks. Also, if you are buying product from a foreign country you can never be sure what you are actually getting. Stories about about people being injected with anything from motor oil to silicone caulking, all you need to do is a quick google search to read these horror stories.

Please spare yourself and your loved ones this potential disaster and either have the injections done properly or don't have them done at all!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Can I buy and inject my own Juvederm or Botox?

+2
It is illegal and very unwise to purchase filler or Botox and inject yourself. The FDA requires that these products be purchased only by licensed physicians. Although receiving an injection is easy and it looks like it is easy to perform, there can be SIGNIFICANT complications such as tissue necrosis, blindness, infections, etc. that can be devastating and very difficult to treat. These complications are most often technical in nature (the injector must know how and where to inject). In the hands of a practiced injector, the complications are extremely rare and, if they occur and are quickly recognized, they can be treated there and then. Please do not take this task on yourself and seek a qualified injector to perform your enhancement. If you can get these products, they may be contaminated, counterfeit or outdated and could cause more harm than good.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Should you inject fillers and Botox in your own face?

+2
I am concerned for you.  Even if you could obtain the medications and equipment needed, and I have never heard of someone being able to do that, if you weren't using strictly clean or sterile technique you could get an infection that hides out in the deep tissues of the face and is very hard to eradicate with antibiotics.  You could hit an artery or nerve trunk and get in real trouble with necrosis (death) of skin or nerves, paralyzing a portion of your face, or even causing permanent blindness or stroke.

On a simpler level, no matter how intelligent or careful you are, there is really no possibility of you being happy with the results.  For example, I was in school, doing medical research, or in a training program for 27 years before I saw my first dermatology patients withiut supervision.  I then studied and was trained in aesthetic procedures for another 5 years, and only then began treating patients with cosmetic procedures.  Actually, the learning never stops.

i was trying to see if this question was submitted on April 1st, because I think you are just pulling our legs to make us a little crazy, right? Did you used to do this to your poor mother, too?

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

+1
If you are not a doctor --and do not have a medical license-- by LAW no legitimate manufacturing company can sell you any products. If you do find anything - through other means-- be aware of FAKE, harmful to health products. These products are meant to be administered by trained specialists with Licenses . 

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

DIY Filler Injections? Never a good idea.

+1
There is a reason people go to Plastic Surgeons & Dermatologists for their filler and wrinkle relaxer injections. Attempting to perform a procedure such as injecting Juvederm at home is just a bad idea. 

I have been extensively trained in injecting fillers/wrinkle relaxers, am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (the only Board recognized by the federal government), and perform many of these in-office procedures every month. This time and experience invested in learning proper injection techniques is invaluable to patients, allows me to deliver excellent results, and, in the rare case when patients are dissatisfied with their result, to properly revise it.

So, if you order fillers such as Juvederm online, you are not only risking receiving bad product from an unlicensed third party, you are also risking poor self-injections. These two factors can lead to a catastrophic effect on your face.

My advice? Just don't do it.

Anna I. Wooten, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Not legal

+1
This is not a good idea because if you aren't a physician, Juvederm can't be legally sold to you. Anything you buy will be obtained illegally. Juvederm can only be sold to a licensed physician and administered by a medical professional. 

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1
I would strongly advise against injecting or acquiring your own fillers on your own. Seek a health care provider's guidance for injections.

Gabriel J. Martinez-Diaz, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon