Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?

I would like to purchase juvederm and botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true?

Do Not Do This Without a Proper and Intact Medical License

+3
I would strongly recommend never doing this. As part of a group devoted to preventing fake and counterfeit products like this entering the US, we don't accept this – and it is against the law to obtain a medicine, which this is, without a proper and intact medical license. Don't do it.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Buying your own Botox and Juvederm

+3

You can't legally buy these products in the US because you don't have a license to practice medicine, and any product you import from another country can't legally be injected since it hasn't been approved by the FDA. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+3

Regarding: "Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?
I would like to purchase Juvederm and Botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true
?"

By law, Botox, Juvederm and other medications are NOT sold to anyone who does not have a license to practice Medicine. If you do buy such items whoever is selling it to you is breaking the law by selling it to a non-physician or by selling you a fake medication. The purchase of Botox and other medications from "over seas" pharmacies is also illegal and any physician injecting a patient with such materials risks Federal penalties and potential loss of his medical license. Finally, injecting yourself with Botox is as intelligent as performing your own appendectomy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Should you inject fillers and Botox in your own face?

+2
I am concerned for you.  Even if you could obtain the medications and equipment needed, and I have never heard of someone being able to do that, if you weren't using strictly clean or sterile technique you could get an infection that hides out in the deep tissues of the face and is very hard to eradicate with antibiotics.  You could hit an artery or nerve trunk and get in real trouble with necrosis (death) of skin or nerves, paralyzing a portion of your face, or even causing permanent blindness or stroke.

On a simpler level, no matter how intelligent or careful you are, there is really no possibility of you being happy with the results.  For example, I was in school, doing medical research, or in a training program for 27 years before I saw my first dermatology patients withiut supervision.  I then studied and was trained in aesthetic procedures for another 5 years, and only then began treating patients with cosmetic procedures.  Actually, the learning never stops.

i was trying to see if this question was submitted on April 1st, because I think you are just pulling our legs to make us a little crazy, right? Did you used to do this to your poor mother, too?

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Juvederm self injection

+1
Juvederm can only be sold to a licensed physician in the United States. This regulation is in place to ensure that only trained individuals are using the material to treat appropriate issues. If the material is injected into the wrong place complications such as skin loss, vision loss, or death may occur in addition to achieving a poor cosmetic result. My suggestion to anyone considering having soft tissue filler injection is to find a qualified, experienced health professional. 

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Buying non-FDA approved injectables

+1
Botox, Restylane, or Juvederm, have all been tested with FDA approval.  When you purchase something on the "black market" you have no idea where it was made or what potential side effects it may have.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist for your cosmetic injections.

Michele S. Green, MD

I would not recommend injecting yourself

+1
There is a reason it is illegal to purchase facial fillers without a medical license, and the reason is that it can be extremely dangerous. You also do not have the skill to place the filler with precision to create a pleasing result. I would recommend seeing an experienced injector to get the results you are looking for. Best of luck. 

David Rapaport, MD

Don't do it.

+1
It's illegal to practice medicine without a licence. But why would you want to do it anyway. I'm a physician and I don't inject myself. Your best treating physician is an objective observer. This is also why I don't treat my own family. Put yourself in the hands of a professional! 

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1
Whether it is legal or not should not be the issue in this case, what you should be asking yourself is whether this is a good idea. Because they are so widespread, sometimes it seems as though injectables such as Juvederm are without risk however this couldn't be farther from the truth. There are significant risks including infection, skin necrosis (= skin death) and even blindness. In my opinion there is no amount of money you could save by self injecting these products that is worth accepting these risks. Also, if you are buying product from a foreign country you can never be sure what you are actually getting. Stories about about people being injected with anything from motor oil to silicone caulking, all you need to do is a quick google search to read these horror stories.

Please spare yourself and your loved ones this potential disaster and either have the injections done properly or don't have them done at all!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Can I buy and inject my own Juvederm or Botox?

+1
It is illegal and very unwise to purchase filler or Botox and inject yourself. The FDA requires that these products be purchased only by licensed physicians. Although receiving an injection is easy and it looks like it is easy to perform, there can be SIGNIFICANT complications such as tissue necrosis, blindness, infections, etc. that can be devastating and very difficult to treat. These complications are most often technical in nature (the injector must know how and where to inject). In the hands of a practiced injector, the complications are extremely rare and, if they occur and are quickly recognized, they can be treated there and then. Please do not take this task on yourself and seek a qualified injector to perform your enhancement. If you can get these products, they may be contaminated, counterfeit or outdated and could cause more harm than good.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon