How Can I Metabolize Juvederm Faster?

Female. 23 yo. Had juvederm injections in lips 2 months ago and procedure was botched. Ended up with asymmetry + two small lumps. Don't feel comfortable w/this surgeon and no other dr. will inject hyaluronidase. Having not performed original procedure - recommend letting product dissolve on its own. Problem is not extreme but very bothersome to me. Had juvederm before w/great results lasting >1 year. Don't want to wait so long. What can I do to help my body more quickly metabolize the juvederm?

Juvederm in the Lips: Reversible

+4

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid based filler, which is temporary and can last up to one year in the face. Good news is in the lips it does not last that long and it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Bad news is Juvederm usually takes more hyaluronidase to dissolve it. This is an easy procedure but can be unpopular if not performed by the injector because you are making your problem another physicians problem. You can try massage which may help break up and smooth the Juvederm, but if you want it dissolved quickly get a hyaluronidase injection.

Good luck.

Help for "botched" Juvederm

+3

Juvederm can be dissolved very easily with hyaluronidase. You need to find a dermatologist who has experience with fillers and they can inject the hyaluronidase. You may need to have the records from your other doctor so that the dermatologist can know for sure what product was used and how much. This should be a simple solution. If you cannot find someone to inject the hyaluronidase then you can massage the areas as firm as you can and use a q tip to massage the small bumps. This should help resolve your problem. Good luck

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Hyaluronidase will remove Juvederm every time

+3

You know the answer because you mentioned it in your request for help. Everyone agrees that you need hyaluronidase to get rid of the lumps. Your original doctor should know this and be willing to help you but there must be lots of other practitioners  who can help. Be prepared though to see maybe all the Juvederm disappear as the hyaluronidase will spread beyond the area where it is injected. For this reason it may be better to let the problem go away on its own over the next 12 months (so you don't loose the good result you may otherwise have). But if the asymmetry and lumps are that bad, removing the Juvederm and waiting a couple of weeks and then starting over with more Juvederm may be what you have to do.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Complications

+2

Thank you for the question and sorry to hear about your poor experience with Juvederm. It is a phenomenal product and in the right hands has very little downside risk. As most of my professional colleagues have suggested, the only sure way to reverse the effects of Juvederm is to use hyaluronidase which produces near-instant results. Having said that, Juvederm and all hyaluronic acids, for that matter, will tend to metabolize more quickly in areas that are in constant motion, such as the lips. Even so, Juvederm will remain in your lips no less than 6 to 12 months under the best of circumstances. "Quick metabolizers" such as athletes may tend to metabolize the product sooner, but this too is unpredictable.  Given that you live in Atlanta, I find it hard to believe that you can't find either a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon that isn't familiar with hyaluronidase. My suggestion is that you go to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website and find a reputable surgeon in the Atlanta area that will be able to assist you.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Removing bad dermal filler results - Juvederm

+2

I am sorry to hear about your outcome with Juvederm injections to the lips. In the early postoperative period, massaging is very effective in shaping and evening out the fill material. At two months after the procedure, the only way to remove the material (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane) in a quicker fashion is with hyaluronidase injections. Keep searching for a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. I am sure someone will be willing to help. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Metabolizing juvederm faster

+1

The only way to metabolize juvederm or restylane faster is to use the area that has been injected more. In your case, talking more will increase metabolism of juvederm very slightly. You're better off having a dermatologist or other plastic surgeon inject you with hyaluronidase if you're not comfortable with your physician.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase injection to reverse Juvederm injection deformities

+1

I agree with all the previous commentary. Juvederm can last up to around one year in the lips in many individuals and you are only at 2 months and not happy. Treatment with a hyaluronidase injection will "dissolve" the Juvederm allowing for reversal of the deformities. You should seek this treatment from either a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who does have experience in using this enzyme - as you don't want to have 2 bad experiences for the same issue. Finally, the/she would need to be willing to treat you despite the fact that someone else performed the Juvederm injection - so ask before scheduling an appointment. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Juvederm related lumps

+1

If you have specific lumps that are painful or visible then find an experienced Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who will assess your problem, offer advice and treatment. The recommendation to allow the product to dissolve with time may be quite appropriate if there is only a minor concern. The risk of treatment with Hyaluronidase or incision and drainage is very small but every treatment or remedy needs to be discussed. The ability to reverse the effect or speed up the disappearance of products like Juvederm with Hyaluronidase is one of the reasons that they are the best and safest filler products to use.

Good Luck,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Juvederm To Metabolize Faster?

+1

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Juvederm results.  I agree with the other reviewers in that having hyaluronidase injected by an experienced Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon will correct your problem very quickly.  I would suggest looking on the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Plastic Surgeons websites to find a provider in your area.

Best for the New Year!

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Lips

+1

You have had very unfortunate results and unfortunately you can not metabolize juvederm any quicker.  It is essential you find a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with knowledge and experience with Hyaluronidase to help you.  Otherwise, you will be left with the lumpy lips for the next 8 months.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist