Juvederm Lip Injections - 3 Days Later, Barely a Difference?

I had my lips injected with 1 syringe of Juvederm last Thursday. I thought it looked great! 3 days later and my lips look hardly any different than they did before I got them done. Should I contact my doctor? This was my first experience at a cosmetic surgeons office; I didn't show my doctor a photo of how I wanted my lips to look - I just told him that I was wanted my lips larger. Will this make a difference in getting the results I really wanted without having to pay another $550?

After Juvederm has been injected, there is a component of swelling that occurs in the lips especially if there was some massage at the time of injection.  The presentation is then a larger lip composed of Juvederm and swelling.  After a few days the swelling goes down leaving the lips augmented by Juvederm only and this may not be enough correction.  Additional Juvederm may be needed for the lips to look like the appearance of the first few days.  Please see your injector to discuss options with him.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation is all about volume of Juvederm.

You have nice full lips to start so augmenting them with fillers like Juvederm or Restylane may take more volume than you think.  It is not that uncommon in a young full lipped woman to use 2 syringes for the desired result.  The swelling that you experienced gave you a glimpse of what "more" will do for you. Definately revisit your physician fro more filler. The good news is that is will last for 6 months or more.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Lip Enhancement

In evaluating your before and after pictures, your upper lip definitely looks volumized as compared to your pre-injection photograph. Your lower lip does as well, but to a lesser extent. Perhaps you were desiring bigger lips than one syringe can provide. I would suggest returning to your physician for an evaluation and possibly, further volumization. 

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Lip augmentation with Juvederm usually works well.

Wait a bit longer........your results will change yet. You admit to bruising still present so you probably will shrink a little more as the blood resorbs. Needles are sharp and cause some trauma which creates swelling......this will go too. You should be stable in about 1 week if the bruise isn't too large. Then evaluate your results.

As an aside, I see that your upper lip was 50 % the size of your lower lip pre injection and 3 days later it is about 80 % the size of your lower lip so there is definately a size change. The change is more attractive since the ratio of the lips is more aesthetically prorportional.

Even with good results, you should always feel comfortable returning to your doctor to discuss any concerns. He/she may give you information that makes good sense to you and you feel better about it all. Or, it may be that you could benefit from more Juvederm to satisfy your individual sense of what makes beautiful lips.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Lips have immediate increased volume with Juvederm

Looking at the pictures you have posted, the before pictures show your upper lip MUCH thinner than the after pictures. The bottom lip does not look much different, but as the lower lip should be about 2 times the "thickness" of the upper lip, it looks like your lips ae in more "aesthetic balance" now and more attractive. If you do have concerns, always go back to the injector for re-evaluation, as your satisfaction is the aim of any of these type of treatments.

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for lip enhancement

I tell my patients right after Juvederm injection in the lips that if they think the lips are too big then after the swelling dissipates it will be about right. If they like the lips right after injection, they will probably need more. What looks right is a very individual thing. What looks good to you may be unacceptably huge to another person.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip filler

If you were happy at three days after lip augmentation but now you are not because the swelling dissipated, suggests that you may need more filler material.

Photos Suggest Improvement-- Additional Syringe May Be Needed For Desired Result

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that’s frequently used for lip augmentation. It’s associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.
Although you’re not totally happy with your previous Juvederm treatment, your pictures suggest significant improvement. It’s not unusual for patients to request additional Juvederm following treatment. When this scenario arises an additional syringe can be easily administered to further augment your lip.
It’s important to understand that most surgeons charge by the syringe for the volume given at the time of treatment. It’s safe to say that you have a reasonable result and that additional plumping of the lips will require more Juvederm.

Wait 2 weeks

At three days it's too early to see the optimal results of your treatment. I suggest you wait about 2 weeks before you assess your results. If at that time you still don't see any improvement, return to your injector and discuss your concerns.

Juvederm and Lip Injections

Juvederm is a great injection especially for the lips.  If in 3 days you do not see any results it sounds like you would need another syringe to have the results that you want.  Please return to your treating physician for a consultation to see what results you can expect.