Why Does Latisse Tell You to Use a Separate Applicatorbrush for Each Eye?

It seems so wasteful of the product that is still on the first brush. If they're worried about spreading an infection from one eye to the other, surely they know that women use the same mascara brush on both eyes.

Seperate brushes for each eyelash

+2

Great question!  That is actually the FDA recommendation that you use a seperate brush for each eye.  Some patients use the same brush for both lashes then discard.  If you choose to use one for each eye, it's possible that you may run out of brushes.  Should this happen, you could try to contact the office that you purchased Latisse at.  It's possible that they keep extra brushes just in case patients run out.  Though it is my understanding that the brushes are not sold seperately. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

How to use Latisse brushes

+2

The reason Latisse tells you to use a separate brush is to insure there is no cross contamination between eyes. That is the way the FDA approved the use of Latisse.  We understand that patients find off label ways to use Latisse but we suggest to get the maximum results or the "WOW' factor patients follow the Latisse brush directions. 

Leo McCafferty, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Best way to use Latisse brushes

+2

I've been telling my patients to take off the cap, drop one drop in the cap and use a brush to dip into the cap and paint the upper eyelids just above the eyelashes. This gives you plenty to cover both lids and usually some for the eyebrows if you desire. Most find the bottle lasts nearly two months with this method. (I have to admit my wife showed my this trick and uses it daily).

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Why separate brushes for Latisse

+1

Although the "company line" is to prevent the spread of infection from one eye to the other, the only real reason is as stated that the FDA trials were done that way and that is how Latisse received FDA approval. I instruct my patients to use one brush per day.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Brushes

+1

The thought behind separate brushes is the risk of contimation between eyes. This seems unlikely to me. My patients use one brush but, change each day

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Eyebrushes and Latisse

+1

To be perfectly blunt, that's just the way the FDA trial was done, so it's required that the reps tell the doctors to use it that way, and the packaging says to do that too. Quite frankly, we can tell you how to use it "off label" by using only one brush for both eyes, to use one brush throughout the whole bottle life, or to do some other combination. It's entirely up to you how you choose to do it, but single brushes per eye was the way the FDA trial was done, so that's why the packaging is required to state that.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Why Does Latisse Come With So Many Application Brushes

+1

I couldn't agree with your comments more. I believe the FDA approval of Latisse was predicated on using one eyebrush per application, which resulted in that somewhat comical stash of eyebrushes that accompanies the small bottle of Latisse. I tell my patients to just use one brush for the entire life of the bottle and save the other brushes for makeup use. I see no clincial or safety advantage to using a new brush each time

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist