Does Laser Liposuction Help in Treating Multiple Lipomas?

I have multiple lipomas close to 30 on my arms, forearms, torso, proximal thighs for close to 6 years and has finally decided to get them removed. I want the least possible scarring and I am confused whether to go with regular excision surgery vs Laser Liposuction. Is laser liposuction effective for multiple lipomas?

Multiple Lipoma Treatment

+1
You most likely have the diagnosis of familial lipomatosis (other family members will have the same problem). Lipomatosis is believed to be a dominant trait in which multiple lipomas are present. Most are discrete, encapsulated lipomas on the trunk and extremities
Although this condition is benign, many patients concerned with cosmesis seek removal of individual tumors. Treatment can include simple excision, endoscopic removal, or liposuction if large. Liposuction, whether laser Liposuction or traditional will leave some of the lipoma cells behind which over time will probably recur though it may take years.
Find the most qualified plastic surgeon to take care of this problem.

Lipomas are better excised than removed by liposuction

+1

Granted, if you have numerous lipomas it may seem more practical to have them flattened with liposuction but keep that in mind, it would be probably a temporary flattening as they would not be completely removed and as benign tumors, they tend to regrow. Excision through small inicisions is possible with a very small chance of recurrence. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of lipomas

+1

Traditionally lipomas are removed by making small incisions over the lipoma. Liposuctioning of the lipoma may not be sufficient.

Can Liposuction Remove Lipomas?

+1

VERY TOUGH BUT SOLVABLE LIPOMAS.  First any liposuction technique can be used to remove lipomas.  There is nothing special about Laser any more than simple lipo and other approaches.  The Laser systems are ok,  the Vaser Ultrasonic works, and plain old lipo works.  The tricky part is to get a detailed approach to each lipoma.  Generalized lipo does not work.  One must take each lipo mad deal with it separately.  Some can be fibrous and must be open excised.  Some less fibrous cam be removed and Laser or Vaser likely helps.  It is not easy.  I did a lady with 139 lipomas removed over a period of 9 hours in the OR.  Lipoma  IS A DEFINITE CHALLANGE AND IT IS LIKELY YOU WILL STILL HAVE SOME LUMPY FEELING FROM SCAR TISSUE.  Is it worth doing. Yes probably.  My patients have been happy but I have a long consultation before we initiate this.  We have had some insurance coverage in about half the cases so that is a plus. We dom get pathology on some but not all.   Good Luck

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction for Lipomas

+1

Laser Liposuction is not an effective method of treating multiple lipomas, in my opinion, and I would not recommend its use.

Laser Liposuction Is A Newer But As Yet Unproven Method For Lipoma Removal

+1

The conventional means of lipoma removal is open excision. While effective, it does leave scars. Laser liposuction can be used to treat lipomas but you can't think of it as traditional liposuction as you can not really suction out lipomas like regular fat. The laser probe can be inserted into a lipoma and turned out to help melt or liquify the lipoma and then allow the body to absorb the broken down lipoma. That is a lipoma removal technique that is in a state of evolution and is not yet proven to be as consistently effective as excision even  though it is more scarless.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD